Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a 2001 1200 Bandit do as a transplant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would a 2001 1200 Bandit do as a transplant?

I was thinking about doing a front end swap on my 1150. It seems like everyone says the 88 gsxr is an easy swap. How about an '01 Bandit? I've never tried anything nearly that complicated and would probably have to take it to a shop if it needed any fabrication. I also would be interested in swapping the rear swingarm/wheel if that was possible. Has anyone ever tried it or know if it's measurements are close?

Use the '89 or '90, they were longer than the '88. Basically th esame front end, just he '88 was shorter. As for the Bandit front end it appears to be the same as the '88-'90 externally. The late model GSX-Rs and Bandits use roller bearings on the steering stem rather than tapered, but it may just be a matter of swapping bearings. You will need to get dimensions from the front end you want to use to see if it will be compatible. Specifically what you need to know are steering stem diameters for the top and bottom bearings and the distance between the upper and lower clamps. As long as the bearings can be swapped it should work. The whole job takes all of about an hour to do. You need a complete front end though. Everything from calipers, rotors, axle, wheel, and speedo drive.

Comment

Just checked Bikebandit, the lower bearing has a 17mm inner diameter and the upper is 15mm id on the Bandits. You'll have to check your bearings to see if they are the same and check to make sure the steering stem is the right length, i.e. the length between the clamps. I know the '88-'90 used two different size tapered bearings and I'm guessing they were those diameters. If you have the time to pull your front end off you can check the diameters of your bearings. I'm running the GSX-R front end myself from those years and the bearings were the same as the GS tapered bearings. It is just a matter of using the upper dust seal from your bike and everything else GSX-R.

Comment

Billy,

I've look in BikeBandit before and never found the mechanical dimensions. Where are you looking? This would help me a great deal getting this kind of info.

Comment

Steve,
          The late model Gixxers and Bandits have bearing dimensions under the steering stem section.

Comment

Working...
          X