clutch operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch operation

can someone explain the operation of the clutch. I have a GS 650 GL. I just rebuilt it and followed the instructions. The clutch will not disengage the gears. How does a clutch disengage the gears? What could be wrong in there? I have adjusted the lever and the arm on the engine as tight as I can, and everywhere in between. It doesnt loosten it up at all. It does switch into neutral.

Did you soak the new clutch in oil before you installed it? I'm not much of a mechanic but that is a step I forgot to do once.

Gerry

Comment

Did u install a new clutch cable? The old cable could be binding up and not allowing the clutch to release completly

Comment

I would also look at the discussion on Why my 1150 is hard to shift..similar problems.

Comment

I used a new clutch cable. One thing I looked in clymer and I forgot to do is reinstall the spring for the cam stopper. could this cause my problem? I have spent so much money and time on this project...Does anyone know of anyone who has a shaft drive 650 engine that runs that will sell it cheap?

Comment

I would open the clutch housing back up, put in the "extra part" and double check the clutch blow up diagram in my book to be certain things were done in the correct sequence with the correct orientation.
            Its very easy to think you did something correctly and on closer examination, find it not aligned as it should be. There has to be a simple mechanical reason why it does not work.

Earl

Originally posted by camaroman
            I used a new clutch cable. One thing I looked in clymer and I forgot to do is reinstall the spring for the cam stopper. could this cause my problem? I have spent so much money and time on this project...Does anyone know of anyone who has a shaft drive 650 engine that runs that will sell it cheap?
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The clutch is between the engine and the gear box. When it's engaged...ie the clutch lever is out, the friction plates in the clutch are pressed tightly against one another and will not rotate upon one another. It is this friction that transmits the turning force in the engine to the gearbox, and then to the sprocket that drives the rear wheel.

When the clutch is released...ie the lever is pulled in, the friction plates are mechanically separated from the spring pressure, and can spin free...so the engine is no longer transmitting the turning force to the gearbox. While the clutch plates spin, it is possible to shift gears, because nothing is driving them. (well...it's a bit more complicated than that but still...) Its sort of like fingers on both hands being either locked together so both hands have to turn together, or your fingers being unlocked, and your hands being free to move independantly.

Pulling the clutch lever in moves a rod that mechanically pushes the friction plates out...in other words the rod 'pushes one hand away from the other'. If your clutch is not disengaging at all...either it needs adjusting...your phrase "tightened it as tight as I can" doesn't sound quite like what the manual says...I think you adjust the clutch with the cable completely disconnected, then hook up the cable and adjust the cable. There could also be something mechanically blocking the plates from moving...like a dissasembly/assembly error. If a manual-induced adjustment doesn't change things, I would do as Earl suggests and open it up again.
              Good luck.

Comment

Camaroman, looking back at your posts, you have been fighting this 650 motor for quite a while. Where are you located? Perhaps it's time to send someone out to exorcise the demon motor. By the way, I do have an extra 650 shaft drive motor...

Comment

Don,
                  What is your e-mail so I can contact you?

Comment

Camaroman, what state are you in? I tried a PM but you must not have received it. My email is dsloba@cs.com.

Comment

I'm in central Illinois. Normal/Bloomington. here is my e-mail
                      bearnogin@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X