Vacuum gauges versus mercury stix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum gauges versus mercury stix

I was looking to buy a cheap carb sync tool. I planned on getting a set of mercury stix - but several places I checked no longer have them - something about it being illegal these days to ship mercury. Are vacuum gauges as good? I always figured the mercury would be the most accurate. The gauges Z1 Ent has are a little less - but close to what I would have paid for the mercury stix. Thoughts?

Mercury stix will always be "The Standard" by which all others are judged, but that does not mean that they are the only answer. A decent set of gauges will also work. Their usefulness will be enhanced if there is a damping mechanism to help control the needle fluctuations.

I consider myself rather fortunate in that, not only do I have mercury stix, I have a set with SIX columns. \\/ I got them back in 1979 when I had a Kawasaki KZ1300, and have managed to hang on to them all these years. Just recenly sold my second six-cylinder Kawasaki, so the NEED for six columns is no longer there, but I still have a six-cylinder Gold Wing (but only two carbs), two GSs and a four-cylinder Yamaha Venture Royale in my own garage, not counting the rest of the bikes in my extended family and friends, so they don't sit idle very long. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Mercury stix will always be "The Standard" by which all others are judged, but that does not mean that they are the only answer. A decent set of gauges will also work. Their usefulness will be enhanced if there is a damping mechanism to help control the needle fluctuations.

I consider myself rather fortunate in that, not only do I have mercury stix, I have a set with SIX columns. \\/ I got them back in 1979 when I had a Kawasaki KZ1300, and have managed to hang on to them all these years. Just recenly sold my second six-cylinder Kawasaki, so the NEED for six columns is no longer there, but I still have a six-cylinder Gold Wing (but only two carbs), two GSs and a four-cylinder Yamaha Venture Royale in my own garage, not counting the rest of the bikes in my extended family and friends, so they don't sit idle very long. 8-[

You could sync two Yamaha XS850s at the same time.:mrgreen:

Comment

I like the gauges better, myself. You never have to worry about finding mercury to refill them.

Comment

Just ordered a set of carbstix's and Ridenow.com shipped them even though I'm in CA. Fair price too. Get them while you can.

BTW: vacuum gauges will work fine although you should put a restrictor in the line to help damp the fluctions. You can also add a plentum to damp things but that's a lot of work if you have a four cylinder bike.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
            I like the gauges better, myself. You never have to worry about finding mercury to refill them.

I have seen gauges used, but never used them myself. And, I have enough mercury in the cabinet to have the entire state of oHIo (and maybe a neighboring state or two) declared an EPA disaster area if it ever gets out.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm having a lot of problem with my mercury sticks getting condensation or gas somehow making it into the mercury reservior. Then the bubbles of the non-mercury get sucked up and mess up the nice clean mercury column so it's impossible to get a good reading. Now I wish I had the other style.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                I'm having a lot of problem with my mercury sticks getting condensation or gas somehow making it into the mercury reservior. Then the bubbles of the non-mercury get sucked up and mess up the nice clean mercury column so it's impossible to get a good reading. Now I wish I had the other style.
                If you tap on the bubbles they disappear. I use my fingernails, gently.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've had zero luck tapping on 'em (tried it already ;-)). I ended up "rebuilding" the whole thing today. I've decided these things are NOT quality instruments... The little restrictors you put in the hoses were actually disolving into goo, and so was the plastic reservior. And I've only used the thing three times and had it a few weeks. Seems like crappy plastic that disintegrates as soon as gas vapor hits it. It was not really working at all in this condition...

So I pulled the restrictors out and replaced them with some nylon spacers I found at the hardware store in which I put a glob of epoxy putty that I poked with a pin (to make the little hole). Then I cleaned out the reservior. Actually I used carb cleaner on the reservior which made things worse and ate a little hole in the bottom (whoops!). I patched the hole and reinforced the whole bottom with epoxy putty. I also cleaned out all the hoses well and replaced one of the o-rings on the intake fittings.

Put it back together and poured in the mercury again and it works fine. What a hassle though. I want some real guages.

Comment

I've never used the sticks, only the gauges. They've worked well for me.

Comment

I'll probably get the set of gauges Z1 Ent has - at least I wont have to worry about mercury going all over the garage

Comment

I've used mine ten or more times and they work ok. Not great, but just ok. They pulse quite a bit.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I used to use the mercury stix, but about four years ago, bought a Morgan Carbtune. I will say, the Carbtune may appear a bit expensive compared to the carb stix, but after using them, I would still buy the Morgan if it was twice the price.
                          You will never go back to guages or carb stix if you try a Morgan Carbtune.
                          Best money I ever spent.

Earl
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                          X