Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tanks

Hi,

New to site. Hoping someone can help. Looking for interchangeability of gas/fuel tanks. I have GS850L ('80), and am looking for another fuel tank. Would anyone know if GS850L and that of a GS1100 are interchangeable? Saw one on eBay:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066)

that has the same kind of mounting hole in back (1 hole in downward pointing flange, as opposed to the 2 hole type in the rearward facing flange).

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Ron
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

I'm not 100% sure but I think it would work. The front mounts are the same on both bikes. The 1100 frame is wider up top than the 850. So the 1100 will fit on the 850 but not vice-versa.
    I'm just not sure of the length.

Steve

Comment

I'm afraid that all the 80's tak are the same size and other year models are not compatible

I've tried to find a compatible with bigger size for my 750 in all the breakers (scrap ??) in belgium without any result

even the petcock is very special ((

my idea is to find (in a very far future) a (very) bigger not compatible and adapt it

V++
      Rackham

Comment

That tank is for an 1100E, and you have a 850GL. I'm pretty sure that you need a 79-80 L tank (81-83 are different). What is wrong with your tank?

Comment

Along the same thread,
          I have a 1980 GS1000L and it only holds 3 gal.
          I was hoping to fit a 1980 850G tank (if I could find one)
          that holds over 5 gal.

Anyone have any knowledge on whether this swap would worK?

I've found that many of the same year 850/1000 components are interchangable
          but with this much difference in capacity, I'm just not sure.

Peace
          Mo

Comment

Just keep your eyes open on Ebay.. The tank you need will definately show up..

Comment

Thanks for the info. Nothing is really wrong with the old tank, only reason I was looking into this is for 2 reasons:

1. You never know when you'll need that extra part (and this bike is a keeper, gonna keep it running for a long time.....fact is, it'll probably still be running long after Suzuki is out of business, lol)

2. This second reason is stupid, but I can also get ahold of another set of side covers, and having extra tank/covers will enable me to do a little experimenting with paint/designs without affecting original paint or my riding time. Would make a color change for the bike very easy, wouldn't ya say? (told ya it was a stupid reason)
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
              X