oil in the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil in the air box

I know I've read a thread on this but I can't find it...Oil drip from the air box after a ride. Tube from bottom of the box to close to the ground must not be seated properly as the drip seems to travel around the OUTSIDE of the tube. What's causing it and how to fix? Getting in there from tube that goes form the engine to the top of the box I'm guessing. I'm also assuming that that's WHY that tube is there, so a little might be normal, but 2-3 tablespoons after a ride is NOT.

How many miles are on the engine, how long since last oil change? What do the plugs look like after the ride? How long since you last rode your bike? 2-3 tblsp is a lot, are you sure it is that much? A compression test would be warranted if the plugs show signs of oil burning. A leak down test would tell you even more.

Comment

If it is indeed oil I would check & make sure the baffles are still in the breather that is on top of the cam cover & make sure they are clean

Comment

If the oil is dripping down the outside of the tube maybe it's not coming from inside the airbox. Could be squirting there from somewhere else. Take a good look around and see if you can trace where it's coming from. We've had a thread not too long ago on the unlikelihood of oil actually getting into an airbox...

Comment

Do you have any oil that drips down the front of the airbox (right below the inlet hoses that go into the carbs)??

That's where I have it after a good ride... And I don't know how it could get there - new inlet hoses and clamps.

I also have it inside the airbox - enough to wipe up with a rag - but not leaking down the drain tube.

Maybe we have the same problem... inquiring minds want to know

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
            I also have it inside the airbox - enough to wipe up with a rag - but not leaking down the drain tube.

Maybe we have the same problem... inquiring minds want to know
            Sure you didn't over-oil your air cleaner element?

Do you have any oil on the back of the motor on the fins and such?

Comment

No, I don't think the air filter is over-oiled. I replaced it with a new factory element over a year ago... had a very experienced m/c guy over-see what I did, and I'm pretty sure it was done right. Rode summer '05 then no riding for a year till the last few weeks. And all that's been done regarding the airbox is wipe it out a few times.

And... No I don't have any oil on the back of the motor, fins and such. I mean, maybe a few stains on the fins, but nothing really accumulating or pooling up there.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

SqDancerLynn1, could you elaborate on said baffles?

At first I tought maybe due to over oiling air filter, but no, that ain't it.

Comment

Originally posted by bronzeback View Post
                  I know I've read a thread on this but I can't find it...Oil drip from the air box after a ride. Tube from bottom of the box to close to the ground must not be seated properly as the drip seems to travel around the OUTSIDE of the tube. What's causing it and how to fix? Getting in there from tube that goes form the engine to the top of the box I'm guessing. I'm also assuming that that's WHY that tube is there, so a little might be normal, but 2-3 tablespoons after a ride is NOT.
                  I have been using regular oil on my air filter and It has taken 3 months to finally get enough in the airbox to leak out the bottom drain hose.i thought is was coming out of my valve cover breather tube but it was bone dry.I cleaned all tubes and the airbox out and used air filter oil. this solved my problems. Is the oil coming out clean or a little dirty? The oil coming out or my airbox looked very clean.Look at your air filter also.Mine was very wet at the bottom where the oil is sucked into the airbox from over oiling.

Comment

Thanks tconroy,

Maybe that is MY problem too. I think when we did it (1 1/2 year ago), that we did use regular clean 10W-40. But since then, I've wiped the airbox out a few times, and blotted a clean rag around the filter element. I can't believe there's any of that original 10W-40 still in the element.

But, like I said, I haven't had any oil dripping out the drain hose, just quite a bit puddleing in the airbox.

But my real CONCERN: is, how is it that oil seeps down the outside-front of the airbox. Right below the air inlet hoses that go into the carbs. And like I said I have new inlet hoses and clamps.

This mystery is bugging me, and I'd like to figure out what's wrong.
                    Any ideas and help ??? Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

I pulled the tank last night and looked at the breather tube on top of the air box last night...bone dry. I guess, maybe the air filter could have been over oiled, but I still don't think so. Although from the symptoms that makes sinse, I'd think by now (4 months and about 1000 miles since I changed it) any possible extra oil would have come out already... Oil levels elseware seem unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by bronzeback View Post
                        I pulled the tank last night and looked at the breather tube on top of the air box last night...bone dry. I guess, maybe the air filter could have been over oiled, but I still don't think so. Although from the symptoms that makes sinse, I'd think by now (4 months and about 1000 miles since I changed it) any possible extra oil would have come out already... Oil levels elseware seem unchanged.
                        Yeah... EXACTLY the same thing with me ( I could've written what you just wrote). The only difference in out two situations is that you've had excess oil down the drain tube (makes sense)... And I have some drips coming down the outside front wall of the airbox (makes NO sense).

But, it's looking like the cause is the same thing. I'm going to take tconroy's advice and see if that helps.

So, nobody has a clue as to how the drips are coming down the wall of my airbox??

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
                          Thanks tconroy,

Maybe that is MY problem too. I think when we did it (1 1/2 year ago), that we did use regular clean 10W-40. But since then, I've wiped the airbox out a few times, and blotted a clean rag around the filter element. I can't believe there's any of that original 10W-40 still in the element.

But, like I said, I haven't had any oil dripping out the drain hose, just quite a bit puddleing in the airbox.

But my real CONCERN: is, how is it that oil seeps down the outside-front of the airbox. Right below the air inlet hoses that go into the carbs. And like I said I have new inlet hoses and clamps.

This mystery is bugging me, and I'd like to figure out what's wrong.
                          Any ideas and help ??? Thanks for your thoughts.
                          When you take your air filter out look at the bottom of it.there will probably be lots of oil sitting there. Take your air filter and put it in a ziplock baggie,then press it between your hands.they hold more oil than you think.You will probably squeeze out a couple of teaspoons or at least have oil smeered all over the baggie.then put it back in.As for the drain hose,I couldnt answer that one.Mine does the same thing.You could try using a hose clamp instead of the little wire clamps and see if that works

Comment

I'd say squish the filter between some rags to get out the excess. I'd think in a plastic bag the filter would just re-soak up the oil...

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                              I'd say squish the filter between some rags to get out the excess. I'd think in a plastic bag the filter would just re-soak up the oil...
                              rags hold too many fine particals that could get embedded in the filter and sucked into the airbox and carbs.Oil will stick to the plastic bag.Try it,you will see what i mean.In my clymers manual they suggest using a plastic bag.Also a good grade of special air filter oil provides better protection against dirt and moisture than plain engine oil and is also lighter weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X