Fantachrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantachrome

Anybody ever checked into this process? http://www.alsacorp.com/ I have been corresponding with a rep from this company and he is telling me that it is 15% cheaper than traditional chroming and just as durable because it is an actual metal finish. I am going to be sending him pictures of parts I'd like to plate so he can give me an estimate of what it will cost per part. He is telling me there is a 2 week turnaround. I am curious if it looks enough like chrome plate to do most of the rusted up chrome GS parts with it.

Went to the site and it looks very promising 8) If it can come out as well as those photos, I'm going to have to try for the GT.
    Thanks Michael :P
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

It says it is a nontoxic waterbased 3 part application process. and wears better than OEM paint on parts done with this process. Man could I give them some business!

Comment

Re: Fantachrome

Out of curiosity, I went to the site and priced the components for the 3 phase system they use. Adding costs of primer, primer catalyst, chrome base, chrome catalyst, topcoat and its catalyst in mixed ready to use state, it appears to cost aprox $1000.00 per quart. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Michael Falke"]Anybody ever checked into this process? http://www.alsacorp.com/ I have been corresponding with a rep from this company and he is telling me that it is 15% cheaper than traditional chroming and just as durable because it is an actual metal finish.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ah yes earl but they will DO the stuff for you if you don't want to buy a kit. Their outsourcing dept. just opened this month!

Comment

But but Michael, I've always wanted to chrome my house. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Michael Falke
            ah yes earl but they will DO the stuff for you if you don't want to buy a kit. Their outsourcing dept. just opened this month!
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I would be interested for this application on plastic parts, where traditional chrome can't be applied.

They look to be setup for a higher volume than what I would give them however. The cost per part might be very expensive if that is the case.

I'm interested in how your inquiry turns out.

Comment

This is a copy of the reply email they sent me. I was inquiring on individual small parts for an old motorcycle. I replied that a starter kit was not in the cards due to the expense for just a few parts done. The kit was supposed to cover 200 sq. feet. (about 10x20).
                "Michael,
                I do have an applications division capable of doing your pieces. However if you are planning on doing more than one of these you may want to consider purchasing our starter kit.
                Feel free to send your parts to the address below. Upon receipt I will contact you with exact price and expected completion date.
                Matt@ALSA

ALSA Co.
                Attn:Applications
                2640 E. 37th St.
                Vernon, Ca
                90058"

Yes earl it could be a problem if you want the entire house done. On the bright side the pizza delivery man could find you!!!

Comment

Re: Fantachrome

[quote="Michael Falke"] it is 15% cheaper than traditional chroming and just as durable because it is an actual metal finish.

Michael, I don't understand. Up here in Kaintuckey we buy chrome in a roll like duck tape, in fact, it even comes with sticky stuff on the back ready to paste on yer rusty parts and such...

Comment

Wow golly jim can ya spare a roll or 2??

Comment

Working...
                    X