Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical Help (not Charging System!,hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Help (not Charging System!,hopefully)

I took my 1100e out for a ride yesterday after unplugging it from the trickle charge which indicated full charge. Drove it about 75 miles and stopped to fill up. A liitle slow on the start, didn't think too much about it. Drove it 2 miles back to house and the battery acted like it was out. Would not turn over, lights on, blinkers would not flash. Thought it must be RR.

But then I hooked it on the trickle charger and showed full charge within 5 minutes and the bike cranked right up, no problems,everything worked fine, just like it always does. Never had a charging issue on this bike since replaced RR 2 years ago. Always charges right up and holds charge.

Where should I start looking? Thanks for your advice.

Take a good long look at the battery. Fluid level right up where it should be? If you can see the internals of the battery plates, notice any white funky stuff between the plates? If so, battery is going south. Use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity in each cell.
    Check charge rate and grounds.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

It's a sealed battery unfortunately so I can't test the cells. But according to the trickle charge indicator, the battery is holding charge. If it was actually drained, it would have taken at least overnite to recharge. Instead it took 5-10 minutes, which has been the normal "topping off" after each of my rides before I put it to bed. This is what is confusing me. I did mess with the terminals went it wouldn't start this last time to make sure the connections were tight which they appered to be. Maybe whatever I did corrected a bad connection. Long shot but keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

What I'm trying to say is that if the battery is internally shorted or failing, it may exhibit symptoms such as a quick charge to "fully charged".
        If your charging system is working, why do you "top off" after each ride. The bikes charging system should keep the battery in a state of charge-unless you only ride it every 3-4 weeks, but even then, if it starts, a good ride should make the battery fully charged again.
        Also over charging the battery can shorten its life.
        Just some things to think about.

Comment

This is one where it pays to get out the digital multimeter and find out whats going on. I am thinking I had some wiring issues that caused something like this that weren't about a bad battery or charging sytem, but can't think of it right now. look for week spot it the wiring

Comment

Have the battery load tested, it can appear charged but that will not indicate the starting capability. I have been told (by licneced mechanics)it isn't possible to accurately load test with just a multi meter.

Comment

Wiz, You didnt say anything about any voltage readings. Need a voltmeter to check out the charging system. Once know if the charging system is charging, then can decide about the battery.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I had similar symptoms in my car a couple of years ago, and had it towed to a good automobile electrice shop. They were stumped for a few minutes. The battery had an internal failure that lead to high internal resistance. It was fully charged and had the correct voltages. A new battery fixed everything.
                Much easier and cheaper than R/R!
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I agree, had very similar problems with my Shadow. Turned out to be a bad battery.

Make sure your trickle charger has overload protection. If it does, it shouldn't hurt to hook it up every night but I also agree that if the bike is ridden daily or at least 2-3 times a week you shouldn't need it.

Comment

Auto Zone tests for free

I rode my bike with a fully charged battery to the local Auto Zone.

After I asked them if they could test a MC of course.

No problem as long as it's 12volts they tell me.

Anyhow. That's how I determined my charging system was shot and not the battery. The alt was only putting out .7amp at 12.2V. End of story.

Total cost for test....Nothing. So I had to take the seat and air cleaner off my bike so they could access the battery terminals...no biggie.

Free lunch $5.

Comment

Wiz, Check the RR & Stator connectors. Right under the airbox above the battery. Thats all mine was. Check for signs of heat on the wires and connectors. Get an onboard voltmeter. Good luck.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                      X