Temp. taken out of storage, problems start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp. taken out of storage, problems start

I put my bike in storage over the weekend, and I did the whole routine (remove the battery, add fuel stabilizer, etc.). I didn't expect there to be nice weather today, so I thought I'd take it out, since it might not be warm again until about March/April.

I put the battery back in after adding water to it (I saw it was a little low on water) and tried starting it up. I put the choke on and using the kick start, I was able to get it running, but it only ran with the choke on. I tried starting it with the choke both on and off for about 10 minutes, and I finally gave up. Could it be something to do with how I put water in the battery or the fuel stabilizer? I'm thinking maybe the engine is flooded, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Also, I tried taking the battery out so I could charge it, but the lock under the seat somehow got jammed and the seat won't open at all.

Today's just not my day with this bike.

Sounds like maybe it's not getting gas? Is your petcock working? If you drained your carbs before storing, did you put the petcock on prime for a while before starting?

If you messed with it for that long without getting it started it might have flooded by that point. It's happened to me a few times. You may have better luck after letting it sit for a while.

Test your petcock (search the archives for that) and maybe loosen one of the carb float bowl drain screws and see if gas pours out.

As for the battery: does the headlight work? Does the electric starter work? Did you munge up the terminals while you were adding water? Grab a multimeter and see what the voltage is at the battery terminals with the bike off and on (if you can get it started).

Comment

My old BMW does the seat trick sometimes, I loosen the seat bolts where the bracket hinges on the sub frame, park my butt on it so it unbinds(sic) and presto. Agree with letting it sit re flooding, doubt you did something wrong with the water and recheck all the terminal etc when you get the seat open.

Comment

The battery is working somewhat because the lights go on and the starter motor gives a little effort, but I added water because it was low. I'm puzzled because the last time I rode the bike was on Saturday, when I put it in storage and it worked fine.

The petcock seems to be in working order because it hasn't given me any problems so far. I'm sure it's flooded because I used the choke to start it a few times and it wouldn't work w/o it on.

And I think the seat's messed up because I kick started it and I had to go all rodeo on it.

UPDATE: I went to start it up and the starter motor cranks, but the engine won't turn over without the choke on. I have a feeling there's nothing wrong with the battery, so maybe the fuel stabilizer has something to do with it? I still couldn't get the seat unstuck. My seat is the side hinge type, and I don't see where I can undo the hinges. Plus it seems the lock mechanism is busted, since the key turns a little too easily and won't open.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Any chance there was a liitle too much fuel stabilizer added?
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Well I did what the bottle said and put in an ounce for every 2 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
              Well I did what the bottle said and put in an ounce for every 2 gallons.
              Take your plugs out and use sandpaper on the electrodes and regap them after flushing them with starter fluid.Clean your air filter and I bet $100 bucks it will start right up.

Comment

hi, you say in your update it only turns over with the choke on? do you mean starts with the choke on or? it just cranks? but doesnt fire up? whats it do when the chokes off when cranking it over?does it keep cranking over, then slowly cranking then nothing or? your battery may be low is all.

Comment

That whole sand paper thing gives me the willies, but that's something I might have to try. Do I need a special socket to get the plugs out and do they have to be torqued?

My engine will only run when the choke is on. This is for when it's cold. It's run fine when cold in the past, but once I turn the choke off, the engine dies. I don't want to keep it on too long because that will foul up my plugs.

Comment

That whole sand paper thing gives me the willies, but that's something I might have to try. Do I need a special socket to get the plugs out and do they have to be torqued?

My engine will only run when the choke is on. This is for when it's cold. It's run fine when cold in the past, but once I turn the choke off, the engine dies. I don't want to keep it on too long because that will foul up my plugs.
                    Are you sure your letting it warm up enough? How cold is it outside?These engines are cold natured and you should give it enough time to warm up.In the summer it takes mine about 1 minute, but now (40 degrees out) it may take up to 5 minutes before she is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                      Are you sure your letting it warm up enough? How cold is it outside?These engines are cold natured and you should give it enough time to warm up.In the summer it takes mine about 1 minute, but now (40 degrees out) it may take up to 5 minutes before she is ready.

I could let it warm up, but I have a bad feeling about leaving the choke on for longer than a minute. When I started it yesterday, it was around 70 and I gave it plenty of time to warm up.

Comment

I could let it warm up, but I have a bad feeling about leaving the choke on for longer than a minute. When I started it yesterday, it was around 70 and I gave it plenty of time to warm up.
                        i would not worry about that.the choke is just a fuel enrichement and when it starts to warm up good it will start idling down then blip the throttle and try half choke.What rpm's is it at when on full choke?

Comment

When I first start it, it revs to about 3000 RPM then hovers a little under or over 1000 depending on how cold it is.

Comment

When I first start it, it revs to about 3000 RPM then hovers a little under or over 1000 depending on how cold it is.
                            That sounds just about right.Have you tried turning your idle adjustment up a little to see if it will stay running.My idle when warm is 1100 rpm's. When was the last time you changed your plugs.My bike would not stay running when I let it sit for 2 weeks so I cleaned the plugs and air filter and it has run fine ever since.Again I would suggest pulling your plugs and take some sandpaper and scratch the electrode prong and electrode to take the carbon off.Put them back in and tighten till they seat and then 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther.Do not tighten them too tight or you might damage the cylinder threads.If your not sure how to do this ,ASK SOMEONE TO HELP YOU !!!

Comment

I'll have to try to start it again tomorrow when I have time. I bought the bike in July from a private party, and he gave me the old spark plugs for some reason, but I have no idea when he changed them. I also cleaned the air filter last month but haven't ridden too much since then.

I have a 1/2" drive ratchet, but what kind of socket would I use for the spark plugs? I have a 21mm socket that I use for the oil pan and several smaller ones, would any of those work?

Comment

Working...
                              X