crankshaft oil seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crankshaft oil seal replacement

Can the crankshaft seal be replaced without splitting the cases?? I have one that is weeping a little, but I just put it back together, so I obviously don't want to go through that again. (The 80 1000G is the one in question).
    Last edited by spchips; 10-30-2006, 05:24 PM.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Which side? I would think the right side(facing forward) can be changed without splitting the case; the left side is secured by half clips. If that is the leaker, I doubt it could be changed simply by loosening the case bolts. My 850 was weeping there, I bought high temp Loctite gasket seal (long gray tube, pricey), cleaned it with varsol and ran a bead around the seal and so far, no leaks.

Comment

on all of mine I was under the impression that the left side (with the stator)was "Damp", meaning it was exposed to some oil curculation.

I am talking about the right side, where the ignition is, which drains in such a perfect way as to soak my right shoe and the brake. Looking at it, it should be changable, but I would hate to tear it out and not be able to get it back in.

thanks for the feedback.

Anyone have a sucess story of replacing without splitting?
      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I would think think on the 1000g that the left side would be behind the stator cover and would not be a problem. The right side can be changed but the hard part is driving the new seal back in. You have to camfer the edges of the case slightly around the bore where the seal goes in. If you don't, when you push the seal in, the rubber around the edges may peel back like a banana skin.

Been there, done that, ruined a seal then successfully replaced it.

Hap

Comment

Working...
        X