Engine loosing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine loosing power

Looking for help for a very novice mechanic. I purchased a 1977 GS750 that had been sitting for about 5 years (in a garage). Cleaned it up, changed oil, fresh gas, and got it started. Once it warmed up it would idle pretty good but fluctuated just a little. I took it for a slow spin to the end of the street and when I got up to approx. 20 it would just kind of bog down and die. Clutching and trying to nurse it back would not work. It would just die. A couple of things: 1. The battery is dead, I jumped it off. It would run till description above. 2. The carbs haven't been cleaned.
    I realize tons of things wrong and in process of restoring but any ideas about the bogging down and dying? Thanks

First get a new battery. Then do the standard tune-up procedure. You've already changed the oil (you changed the oil filter, too, right?), so change the plugs, clean/re-oil the air filter, adjust the valves, clean/rebuild the carbs, then sync the carbs.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to diagnose this specific problem because like as not it'll be gone by the time you do the above tune-up stuff. I know it's a lot of work, but if it helps any it's a very rewarding feeling when you're done. ;-)

Comment

You mean I can look forward to being done someday?!?!?

Comment

Well maybe "done" isn't the right word... I don't feel like I'll ever be done either... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
          Well maybe "done" isn't the right word... I don't feel like I'll ever be done either... ;-)
          I think being done means you can ride for a week without doing anything to it.

Comment

Quote:
            Originally Posted by t3rmin
            Well maybe "done" isn't the right word... I don't feel like I'll ever be done either...

I think being done means you can ride for a week without doing anything to it.

Or what is left to do is surpressed by one need to ride! Sounds like you may have some classic "Carb Issues" going on as well. Take things in order and you will eventually get to the point that Uncle Mike is at...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Take things in order and you will eventually get to the point that Uncle Mike is at...
              I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Comment

No...you're correct about that!!! A lesser man would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. I get worn out just keeping up on your troubles, I can't imagine having to be the one that has followed through with all that you've done to that bike. When it is RIGHT, you will OWN that f.@&*%g bike!!!!!!! It will be done! \\/

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  No...you're correct about that!!! A lesser man would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. I get worn out just keeping up on your troubles, I can't imagine having to be the one that has followed through with all that you've done to that bike. When it is RIGHT, you will OWN that f.@&*%g bike!!!!!!! It will be done! \\/

Dave
                  I just want to WIN.

Comment

Originally posted by hogie View Post
                    2. The carbs haven't been cleaned.
                    Your carbs need a professional dip, clean and rebuild. The #1 reason for ill running GS's (or any 25 year old bike).

Also check the inside walls of your fuel tank for rust. Rust sediment is the #2 reason for ill running GS carbs

Comment

When you finish the tuneup go to the homepage and look up the stator papers.

Dink

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm doing a thorough carb clean next weekend (Vols vs. LSU this weekend). Good place to start I'm sure!

Comment

Working...
                        X