No announcement yet.

Gs 1200ss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 1400 for me Now if we could talk Craig Vetter into making us some new farings

Comment

Anyone know what the problems would be with importing a GSX1400?

Comment

With the US emissions standards being what they are and other considerations I can't even imagine, It would probably be too costly and such a hassle to get registration approved for one. We could all Lobby Suzuki and see if they would grace us with one imported here. I suspect the price would be in the $9000 range.

Comment

I can't see that emissions etc would eb a problem, as it meets Australia's standards, and out noise restrictions sometimes mean we get lower powered versions of some bikes.

The trouble is sensible bikes like this get panned as too heavy, not enough power for a 1400 etc...it is judged as a boy racer bike rather than for what it is. When is the last time a US test said "gee this does everything I want for the road, and is heavy enough to ride well"!!!

Comment

The trouble is sensible bikes like this get panned as too heavy, not enough power for a 1400 etc...it is judged as a boy racer bike rather than for what it is. When is the last time a US test said "gee this does everything I want for the road, and is heavy enough to ride well"!!!
            When they are V twin Cruisers, that's when. There is a certain bias in the U.S. market place that says an inline four just can't out class the Harley Clones.

Comment

I would think that there is enough demand from the 30+ year old buyers to sell both of these bikes in the US. The problem is the choice of real STREETBIKES is lacking-who needs 140hp in a 380 lb. bike with a 55 in. wheelbase. The truth is the vast majority of riders can't even begin to ride these machines to anywhere near their full potential ,even if you could on the street ( my last visit to the dealer revealed 2 GSXR1000's with less than 500 miles, both totaled). We do not need water-cooling (the only reason Suzuki did it was to be competive on the World Superdike circuit), upside-down forks and aluminum everything and all the higher costs associated with that race tech. This lack of tech. is what makes the Ducati 900SS, Kaw ZR1200, and Bandit 1200 such great streetbikes. Hopefully Suzuki will get the message and import the GS1200SS and GSX1400 to the US. In the meantime I continue to ride my 450lb., 58 in. wheelbase, 95hp. Streetbike.

Comment

Hi All the GSX1400 is available in the UK.
                Colours are Silver (UGH), White and Blue, and Deep Metalic Blue (Mmmm).

Cost is a mere ?6149 on the raod (Not sure what that is in Dollars).
                No sign of the 1200ss.

See Suzuki.co.uk for info.

Think Ill stick with my old 750.

Phil

Comment

We do not need water-cooling (the only reason Suzuki did it was to be competive on the World Superdike circuit), upside-down forks and aluminum everything and all the higher costs associated with that race tech. This lack of tech....
                  I have to disagree with that assumption to a degree. The reason these newer high tech bikes have so much horsepower today IS do do water cooling that allows for closer tolerances, cooler running and hence better performance. I love both of my bikes but there is a world of difference in the performance of the Kawasaki ZRX and the GS1000. Both have a lot of grunt but sparkplugs alone will last 20,000 plus on the New bike with less maintaince than it's 21 year old Predecessor.

Comment

Michael,

I've been looking at the ZRX1200. Really like that bike. But I couldn't tell from any of the pictures I've seen, do they have a center stand and what is the thing hanging down from the bottom of the engine? Looks like it would hold the oil filter maybe?
                    (I assuming the 1100 and 1200 are still fairly close in design).

Comment

I love the look of the 1400-its one of the few newer bikes that looks like a real motorcycle-I say get them over here

Comment

Comparing a 79 GS1000 to a new ZRX1200, I would have to agree. I was simply pointing out that to make an excellent streetbike, you do not need water-cooling, shim-under bucket valve train and upside down forks. Look at the pre-93 GSXR air-oil cooled bikes. Fast, lean and easy to work on. This is why the GS1200SS appeals to me and I am sure other 30-something riders who do not need the latest and greatest (with all the maintence headaches and cost).

Comment

I read in a magazine that 1 of the reasons they're not importing the 1400 is because it would undercut Bandit sales. And yes, i think it stinks. If they're going to build them, then they should sell them everywhere.
                          There may not be that many "standard" streetbikes to choose from, the problem is that the manufacturer doesn't want similar models competing against each other in such a small market.
                          But the new technology is a necessary evil. With all the stricter emission and noise requirements, the old stuff can't meet the standards and be competitive (performance and sales-wise) with the new stuff.
                          Of course noone "needs" 140 h.p. (well..some of us do..or more), it's what the majority WANT. And that's where the manufacturers are aiming. Sadly, niche market bikes don't generate enough sales here to justify importing and we miss out on some neat bikes.
                          Mike

Comment

Does anybody know why the cycle market in Europe, AU, etc. is more favorable for the 1400? Why does this bike have more appeal in foregin markets than here?
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cost is a mere ?6149 on the raod (Not sure what that is in Dollars
                              Conversion of that would be $9955 8O 8O 8O
                              Sure is a sweet looking bike, but I could pick up 5 more GS's and a few GT's for that.
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                                Cost is a mere ?6149 on the raod (Not sure what that is in Dollars
                                Conversion of that would be $9955 8O 8O 8O
                                Sure is a sweet looking bike, but I could pick up 5 more GS's and a few GT's for that.
                                You can't to a straight exchange rate conversion for what the bike might cost in the USA vs. UK. UK prices include a massive value-added tax (VAT)...not sure what the tax rate is (25%+ ?) but Phil Page could tell you. Also, as any UK buyer of cars can tell you, market forces factor in....apparently the UK price of cars (also booze, etc) is much higher than the price of the same product on the Continent.

Comment

Working...
                                X