"Plus Sizing" GS450L Tires??? Tire Opinions Wante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Plus Sizing" GS450L Tires??? Tire Opinions Wante

Greetings all! I'm the new owner of a 1985 GS450L. It's only got 6,300 miles on it but it ate a RR at some point. Somebody just removed it and cut the wires. Then they wondered why it didn't charge right anymore. Anyway, I've tested the stator and it tests out ok. So I ordered a new Electrex RR from Dennis Kirk. I'll have it Friday.

Anyway, back on topic...

The bike comes stock with a 90/90-19 up front and a 120/90-16 in the rear. The problem is that I'm not finding that many tires in that size. I've found lots of 100/90-19s and 130/90-16s. Will it affect much to go to these slightly wider and taller tires? Will I have fitmet issues? I realize my gearing and speedo will be slightly affected, I'm willing to live with that.

Also, I'm seeing that the Cheng Shins are MUCH cheaper than everybody else. Are they OK tires? I'm really partial to Dunlop, but at half the price, the CS are hard to argue with. I won't be doing any long trips just something to get out and enjoy the countryside on the weekends with. I'd like as many people's opinions on this as I can get.

Thanks!

Sir William

Going up a size should be okay as long as there is room for it. As for the Cheng Shins you'll need other people's input, I've never used them.

Comment

Re: "Plus Sizing" GS450L Tires??? Tire Opinions W

I've never had a problem with the cheng shins. The rubber compound is fairly hard and milage is usually pretty good. There isnt any problem with taking them on long trips. They do tend to follow rain grooves and bridge grating a little bit more than Dunlops, or Metzelers. I found tracking to be OK...just not quite as good as the Dunlops or Metzelers I normally use.
      I would not buy cheng shins for carving the twisties at speed as I do not feel traction at large lean angles is good enough. If youre a touring type, they will do fine. The one real drawback I found with them is their traction in the rain. There just isnt any. If it rains, PARK IT.

Earl

Originally posted by Sir William
      Also, I'm seeing that the Cheng Shins are MUCH cheaper than everybody else. Are they OK tires? I'm really partial to Dunlop, but at half the price, the CS are hard to argue with. I won't be doing any long trips just something to get out and enjoy the countryside on the weekends with. I'd like as many people's opinions on this as I can get.

Thanks!

Sir William
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have used CS Hi-Max 90? on a couple of smaller bikes. I put one on the GS because I just couldn't get another tire that day (you know, middle of nowhere only one tire in stock in a close size). It is a 130 and my bike takes a 120, it is pretty close to the chain guard and the brake arm. I don't think it rubs on the road but I can't really see back there at 120 km/h. I am not a really agressive rider so the harder compound is ok for me. I wouldn't pass one up if I didn't carve up the road. If you do like to carve maybe get something a little stickier. 8)

Comment

I've run Cheng shing and Kenda tires and for just cruising around they seem to be fine... With a dunlop, youv are definately going to pay more.. but I've only heard good things about them. I've also heard guys says that the sidewalls on Dunlops are very stiff, so that when the tire goes flat, you can still have pretty good control. Anyway, either decision is ok.. For just cruising and have fun, you may want to just get the cheapies... Also consider Bridgestone S11 Spitfires. I've been running those for years. Kind of a price in the middle....

Comment

I think the GS450L is physically the same as my GSX400L. I have Metzeler ME99 130/90-16 on the back. It rubs the chain and brake arm. You will need to move thw wheel a couple of mm to clear the chain and use spacers/washers on the brake arm mounting to create clearances all round. BTW, the ME99 is not good in the rain, i'm looking for alternatives for my next change.

vincent

Comment

Working...
            X