chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain?

gonna finally buy a chain! what brand of chain do yall use? do i really need an o ring chain for running round town?

Depends on the price difference between an o ring and non oring. I have a conventional chain at the moment, and it is wering more than an o ring and needs more frequent oiling etc. I will definitely go back to an oring chain.

As for branks, stick with well known ones. I used a bit of an unknown o ring years ago, and it wore more quickly than the OEM chain.

Comment

Re: chain?

You wll spend more time lubing and adjusting a standard chain than you will an "O" ring type. There isnt a big difference in cost between a high end standard chain and a low end "O" ring chain. I prefer the "O" ring type chain and the brand I like is Tsubaki. A good Tsubaki is going to cost you a few bucks, but it will probably outlast a half dozen cheaper chains and you wont be adjusting it every time you want to go for a ride. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rick romero
      gonna finally buy a chain! what brand of chain do yall use? do i really need an o ring chain for running round town?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just bought a standard chain for my yammy xs650. I soaked it in a chain oil over night and hung it to drip this morning. After i install it i will go back to my old habbit of squirting some oil on the chain before every ride-I wont oil the entire chain, Just the parts that are easily reached. On the o ring chain on my 1100e i still squirt it almost every ride but i put it on the lift every 200 miles and oil it thoroughly.
        I priced the chains for the yammy and Jc whitney has them for about 20 dollars plus shipping. i bought one takasago locally for 32 dollars(120 links) too long and had to cut it.
        they wanted a small fortune for the o ring chain and i dont mind oiling because i do it often any how. I will take this standard chain off every few hundred miles and soak and hang it as a maintenance routine.

Comment

did has a 630 chain for 50 something, the cheapest o ring will run me at least 100, im on a very very very small budget and with the xtra 50 could buy new sprokets, i think ill try the non o ring for now.

Comment

I prefer the "shaft" brand, really low maintenance! :twisted:

Comment

I have a standard 630 chain but with a Scott oiler fitted. I haven't needed to adjust the chain for the last 4000km and still looking like new.

Anthony

Comment

I've heard good things about the scott oilers, where can you get them? Are they a universal fit?

Comment

I used to buy RK o-ring chain now I get Tsubaki o-ring. It may just be me, but besides wearing better I think they are smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyC
                    I have a standard 630 chain but with a Scott oiler fitted. I haven't needed to adjust the chain for the last 4000km and still looking like new.
                    I've got the same bike, and I've been considering getting a Scottoiler. Do you have the capacity and interest to take a couple of digital photos of your installation and provide them by e-mail? I'm particularly interested to see where you've placed the reservoir. Thanks, Al.

Comment

I've had good luck with the DID o-ring chains,but the RK's wear too fast. KK.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro

I've got the same bike, and I've been considering getting a Scottoiler. Do you have the capacity and interest to take a couple of digital photos of your installation and provide them by e-mail? I'm particularly interested to see where you've placed the reservoir. Thanks, Al.
                        Don't have immediate access to a camera nor have photos but I'll ask around at work and try to get something.

The reservoir is tied (with cable ties) to frame directly behind the left side cover above the chain guard. One tube goes off to the carbs another to fresh air and obviously one with oil to the rear sprocket also held in place with cable ties. The whole thing is quite inconspicuous. The reservoir I have is smallish, probably 75ml that tends to last from 750-1000km depending on flow rate.

The oilers should be available in most bike shops / online stores. http://www.scottoiler.com/ would be well worth looking at.

The purchase cost is perhaps a little high but the extra life out the chain and sprockets soon pays for itself.

Anthony

Comment

What's a chain, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                            What's a chain, anyway?
                            What took you so long Nick

Comment

I've been running an RK O-ring for a couple of years.
                              As Slopoke says, OIL IT!

Keep it adjusted and oiled and it will last a long time.
                              How are the spockets? Any teeth looking ugly? Or bent over?
                              Check the sides of the sprocket teeth for wear.
                              Also be careful when adjusting as the marker lines don't always "line" up.

Spend the extra money for a good chain, otherwise you'll end up buying a couple of cheap chains for the cost of one good one.

I use the spray kind out of a can.
                              I didn't like the wax type as it semed to collect and hold dirt,grit and crud.
                              There is another post out there concerning wax vs spray type lubes.

Keith
                              Keith
                              -------------------------------------------
                              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                              X