Chain lube, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain lube, What do you use?

I used chain wax on a o-ring chain one year. When I went to clean it I found more dirt and the thing seemed to be full of kinks. This was a new chain and the dealership recommended the chain wax. After cleaning, the chain seemed fine. The next summer and every one after that (5 years) I used lube from a can. I think the can lube is better than the wax but maybe I didn't give the wax a chance. I now read in the bike mags that they just love the wax. I wonder if this is because they don't have the bikes long and don't really know how the wax works compared to can lube over time. I also wonder if the life of the chain is reduced with one or the other.
    So my question is, what do you use on your o-ring chain and what do you think of the other stuff?

(Sorry no shafts allowed )

Gerry

I just oil my Oring chain on the 1100 often and it almost never seems to wear. I use half and half motor oil and STP or whatever motor honey i can find.
    No Gerry a motor honey is not what you are about to reply about.

Comment

Buddy from the local Suzuki shop recommended Honda chain lube. It sprays on and dries, leaving a coating on the chain. As you ride, the chain warms up and the coating liquifies again to keep the chain lube. When you stop, it cools back down and solidifies again. I really liked the stuff on my 550, and it didn't seem to pick up too much dirt. It was definitely better than 30W motor oil, and not as messy. It does fling off like motor oil will.

Comment

PJ Blue Label. I've tried various other stuff but that's by far the best I've used.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s
          Buddy from the local Suzuki shop recommended Honda chain lube. It sprays on and dries, leaving a coating on the chain. As you ride, the chain warms up and the coating liquifies again to keep the chain lube. When you stop, it cools back down and solidifies again. I really liked the stuff on my 550, and it didn't seem to pick up too much dirt. It was definitely better than 30W motor oil, and not as messy. It does fling off like motor oil will.
          I wonder what holds it to the chain when it liquifies.???

Comment

Originally posted by TEMS
            PJ Blue Label. I've tried various other stuff but that's by far the best I've used.
            Ditto here. Motorcycle Consumer News, rated it the second highest behind the PJ1 Black Label. I use the Blue label because it is formulated for o-ring chains while the Black label, which can be used for o-ring chains, is intended for general chain use.

Hap

Comment

I use Silkolene at the moment, but it is a non-oring chain. I also have a chain case so the lube does not attract dirt or exposed to water.

Most peple probably dont keep the bike long enough to have to clean out all the built up gunge!!!

(and yes no more shaft drive snide remaks please

Comment

I've been using synthetic "Chain Guard" for about a year and am really happy with it. It sprays on like a light oil and sets up to a waxy grease.
                It takes very little to make for a slippery chain and it doest throw off much at all.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                  (and yes no more shaft drive snide remaks please
                  you take all the fun out of it.
                  on my one chain driven bike, and on my former bikes that had chains, I use/used PJ1 blue label, good stuff, one thing I found interesting about it is it contains *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$oil. 8O wonder how they get that :roll: :twisted:

Comment

saaz: You mentioned a chain case. Is it homemade? I need one really badly for my 400.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Scotty,

The Honda lube stayed on very well even when it liquified. When I would shut the bike down, and the chain cooled down, it would solidify again and form the wax-like coating again.

Comment

Castrol spray lube. I've never had a problem with it.

Comment

It really doesn't matter! As long as you keep the chain clean, lube it often and keep it adjusted.

Comment

I use castrol and when I can't find that I use gunk. Both seem to work well and if I spray it on after a ride and let it sit overnight neither will fling off the next day.

Comment

Buddy from the local Suzuki shop recommended Honda chain lube. It sprays on and dries, leaving a coating on the chain. As you ride, the chain warms up and the coating liquifies again to keep the chain lube. When you stop, it cools back down and solidifies again.
                              Believe it or not that is the theory behind chain wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X