No announcement yet.

Chain lube, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly(I sold my 550 over a year ago and everything went with it. Plus the 850 is a shaft), the Honda Lube also had Teflon in it. I am not sure. Also, it dried within 30 minutes of application or cooling down of the chain.

Comment

It would seem that chain wax is very well liked. I'll have to give it an other chance only this time I won't use so much.(I think that's what I did wrong) Thanks for all the great input, as per usual this site rocks .

Gerry

Comment

I started using Tri-flon shortly after buying my GS1000 new. The original chain went 44,000 miles.

Comment

Lube properties????

Originally posted by slopoke
          Originally posted by brs127s
          Buddy from the local Suzuki shop recommended Honda chain lube. It sprays on and dries, leaving a coating on the chain. As you ride, the chain warms up and the coating liquifies again to keep the chain lube. When you stop, it cools back down and solidifies again. I really liked the stuff on my 550, and it didn't seem to pick up too much dirt. It was definitely better than 30W motor oil, and not as messy. It does fling off like motor oil will.
          I wonder what holds it to the chain when it liquifies.???
          I think when they refer to liquifying ,perhaps they're thinking the grease viscosity changes in the same way as motor oil changes viscosity as the temperature changes.
          Remember how these lubes work...they have a grease suspended in a solvent base. As the spray hits the chain the mixture works its way into tiny spots in the same way as gasoline seems to go everywhere then the solvent evaporates leaving the grease in places that grease alone could not get to.
          Rick.........

Comment

Im just a die hard about soaking a chain and also squirting a couple of shots of oil on it before every ride. If the spray stuff works then it must be ok.

Comment

I use gear oil and apply it when the chain is nice and warm. Then let it sit overnight. Once a year and it keeps it looking like brand new (because that's how the manufactures prep the chains we all buy).
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've used chain wax for many years and have been pleased with the results. The key is not to use too much, put it on a warm chain, and let sit until dry. If you sling this stuff on your wheels and frame, it sticks like glue and is a pain to clean off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  I use gear oil and apply it when the chain is nice and warm. Then let it sit overnight. Once a year and it keeps it looking like brand new (because that's how the manufactures prep the chains we all buy).
                  How often do you apply it??

Comment

I tried "chain wax" and had similar results to Gerry I found it to be an excellent grinding paste it took my chain from partially worn to stuffed in no time. I replaced the chain and when talking to the supplier discovered that they had the same "high" opinion of it I did ,I returned to castrol chain lube.BTW I only applied the chain wax to my chain when I got home and allowed it to sit overnight to set. I have now started to run a trial, on my 1150 I am using Castrol chain lube , and on my Kat1100 I am using 80/90W gear oil both applied when the chain is hot and allowed to sit before being used. I will post my results.
                    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                      I tried "chain wax" and had similar results to Gerry I found it to be an excellent grinding paste it took my chain from partially worn to stuffed in no time. I replaced the chain and when talking to the supplier discovered that they had the same "high" opinion of it I did ,I returned to castrol chain lube.BTW I only applied the chain wax to my chain when I got home and allowed it to sit overnight to set. I have now started to run a trial, on my 1150 I am using Castrol chain lube , and on my Kat1100 I am using 80/90W gear oil both applied when the chain is hot and allowed to sit before being used. I will post my results.
                      Dink
                      that gear oil is a sensable idea--i'm dying to give it a try--i have about a half gallon of my 50-50 mix left that has to be used first.

Comment

I like the gear oil idea as well. I was going to give the chain wax an other try but gear oil it is. When I lube the chain it is always after a ride when the chain is warm. From what I read this will work for the gear oil as well.

Thanks, Gerry

Comment

The Castrol Chain vax is loved by many, but also questioned by some as they think if the vax comes inside the O-rings it "lumps" and doesn't work as it should.

I have used Castrol Chain vax for 12000 km on my present chain and cant see any problem with it so far, except if you spray on the rim or frame, you have to wipe it away a.s.p, after a vile it is very diffucult to remove...

I will continue with the chain vax.

Gear box oil and chain lube works of course fine, but can also give you an oily rear rim.....

Comment

Fascinating thread, all!

I use gear lube too!

Comment

I have an automatic chain oiler on the bike and it works pretty well. I also use the the Bell Ray chain lube with their 'Molyphos' additive and it works well also real sticky and won't fling off.

Comment

Good one, Nick! I agree, gear lube is BEST!

Comment

Working...
                                X