No announcement yet.

Chain lube, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good one, Nick! I agree, gear lube is BEST!

I'm glad you caught it!

Some folks will just never learn, will they?

N

Comment

Originally posted by JJ
      Good one, Nick! I agree, gear lube is BEST!
      Hey guys give "the chain gang" some credit here :roll: we are halfway there we are now using gear oil like you do
      Dink

Comment

Using Crisco, but it makes my fry-ups taste a bit funny when I recycle it. :x

P.S. Actually using PJ Blue Label.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
          Fascinating thread, all!

I use gear lube too!
          You gotta love that gear lube - no shaft (or chain) should be without it 8)

Comment

Okay, we've pretty much decided that most products work well so lets figure out what products are bad for chains.

My manual says not to use conventional chain oil on 0-ring chains. Personally, I don't like the Castrol chain lube that has a drawing of a dirtbike on the can. I find that the Canadian Tire alternative is pretty good but you have to shake the can for a long time to get it to work. Too bad I don't have any longevity reports on either.

Any other complaints?

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I use gear oil and apply it when the chain is nice and warm. Then let it sit overnight. Once a year and it keeps it looking like brand new (because that's how the manufactures prep the chains we all buy).

How often do you apply it??
              Sorry so long for the reply, I apply once at the beginning of the season and once at the end of the season. Here in New England my season is about 4000 miles. I used motor oil for years- what a mistake. This process is great for o-ring chains and keeps the thing lubed and clean all year. Motor oil is designed to flow, not what you want for your chain. Stuff like PJ 11 or other spray lubes typically aren't that viscious therefore requireing frequent lubrication (the dealers love recommeding spray lube). Gear oil is designed exactly for the purpose of lubricating gears (y'know, gears, like what the chain is attached to).
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Chain lube, What do you use?

For you all that said You don't use chain lube (EXCEPT the guys w/ G model bikes) why don't you use chain lube on your chain

If you don't use chain lube on your chain do you spray it in your crankcase?

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  Fascinating thread, all!

I use gear lube too!
                  I was waitng for someone to give the shaft to someone

BTW I use castrol spray on my 650 as well, and yes, it is a devil to get off the rim and frame when one does not let it "set"

John

Comment

Here is a motorcycle mag tech editor saying he uses WD-40 8O , Do you think we should tell him that WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
                      Here is a motorcycle mag tech editor saying he uses WD-40 8O , Do you think we should tell him that WD-40 isn't a lubricant.
                      Gee, that's odd. :? The can I have, which I bought in the States, says right on the can, "Lubricates moving parts such as: hinges, wheels, rollers, chains, gears". I don't use it as chain lube though, I use Bel-Ray. 8)
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

WD-40 is a lubricant, but it's not viscious enough. C'mon people, say it with me, "viscious". Use gear oil. I'm not insisting I'm right, I'm just saying I'm not wrong. Use what you want, when you want.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Does'nt fling off,easy enough to wipe up overspray,stops rust,etc. I used to use the PJ o-ring spray but I discovered several o-rings got brittle and fell off after 6-7,000 mi. The chain wax has kept the o-rings in good shape for 10,000 mi. so far. The o-ring problem was on an 'RK' chain but I would think the o-rings are the same as on the 'DID' I use now. So I won't go with 'PJ' again. The 'DID' is a MUCH better chain than the 'RK' by the way. KK.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                            The 'DID' is a MUCH better chain than the 'RK' by the way. KK.
                            While it is off subject I do agree on the DID vs. RK. I had a RK on my 1100 and it lasted less than 5000 miles before it was stretched beyond usable limits but the DID I have now has lasted 15000 with no noticeable stretch beyond the initial break-in stretch.

Hap

Comment

I use olive oil to lube my chain. it doesnt work well but the bike smells like Italian tomatoe sauce. ((At least i think it coming from the olive oil???)))

Comment

Chain lube, what do you use?

Good suggestion Slopoke. I think I'll try olive oil in my engine as well. That way when oil seeps out due to bad seals and gaskets it will not be nearly as embarrassing. It will just smell like dinner's cooking. Which would be better to use; virgin or extra virgin? Perhaps that should be subject for another forum topic.

I certainly did not expect to see such a long string of replies to such a seemingly simple question. Years ago I used motor oil, but it flies off. Then I used Castrol Chain Lube, but it seemed to dry out the chain. For the last few years I have been using Canadian Tire chain lube spray, but It goes on in foamy globs, remains sticky (dirt magnet), and I am concered that it does not penetrate well into the chain. I think I'll try gear lube. I like the idea of soaking the chain for good penetration (inside the chain where it is most needed). You can get the stuff anywhere. I'm a low tech guy. I like it. I'll do it.

At a crotch rocket meet last summer, I saw a product that I haven't seen before. It was a spray on chain wash. Has anybody used it and how well does it work? Also, what is the best way to wash an o-ring chain?

Junkman

Comment

Working...
                                X