Wherte do I begin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wherte do I begin ?

As an absolute beginner to the motorcycling world (apart from a 250 Offroad when I was young) Ive just bought a 1977 GS750 which was used as a parts bike.
    Ive bought a service manual, and thats where im beginning. So please excuse my lack of knowledge.
    Im posting this message to the technical sections, as I have no idea where to begin work on my bike.
    The bike hasnt run in about 2 years (I think) but the engine turns freely, and it sounds like the compression is good.
    Any advice on what a good approach would be ? Remove and strip the engine down ?
    Please see the attached images to get an idea of what im working with.

This forum has been a brilliant source of inspiration so far!
    Cheers in advance for any advice!

PS. I know the images are small, but I will post some Higher res. pics elsewhere on the site.

Don't rip the engine apart unless you know that there is a good reason to. First thing, start by making a list of the parts that are missing from the bike. After you get the list together, start getting the parts together...unless it makes sence to buy a second bike and use this one for a donor. Your pics are too small for me to see how much is missing, but these bikes are simple and lots of parts a availible so you should be able to bring it back to life pretty easy. Post or PM me with what you have and we can try to see where you need to go from here.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Do you have a key and good battery, or at least one that will hold a charge for a while? You've got a lot of things to figure out ahead of you, but those two things would probably be a good start.

I'm in a similar condition.... my bike runs, but it was designed as a touring model and I've taken off the fairing and rear luggage so that eliminates the headlamps and tail lights. Plus it has sat for 2 years as well so it needs all sorts of tlc. I'm only ahead of the game a bit because of it's condition and the fact that I've been scouring this forum for months. Don't feel intimidated - the more you read, the more you will understand. The terminology starts to sink in. Some of the terms are a little different that cars - ie: no alternator but stator and regulator/rectifier (r/r) instead, and multi carbs instead of just one like a car.

Plan on rebuilding the carbs... there is info at this link http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm on this site and search the forums to learn more about the details of doing this. I'll be attempting mine soon.

More info on this site is here http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm The stator papers are really helpful to understand the charging systems on these and start diagnosing those kinds of problems.

Take lots of deep breaths and ask lots of questions! The people here are amazing and always willing to share every bit of knowledge they have. If your bike is salvagable (and I've seen worse) you're in the right place. Welcome!

Comment

Do you have any idea why the previous owner chose to make it a parts bike??
        This would be the best thing to know before doing anything, as it may have a problem you do not recognise.

Dink

Comment

Before going further on the motor buy a compression checker. If you have power to the starter and can get the motor to turn that's where I'd start.
          If you have compression up around 100 psi then you won't have any major tear down. (Unless the transmission is bad or all your oil seals leak) This compression number is low because you are supposed to check on a warm engine. Also you need to have the throttle cranked all the way open during the test.
          Also change all the fluids. Brake fluid, engine oil.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If I was facing a challange like this I would break it down into several steps.

1. Determine if this is worth it first by testing the engine, the stator, and other items before buying anything. If you find electrical problems, they can be very expensive to fix, engine problems are even more expensive. Running GS bikes can be had for a few hundred dollars, making restoring this one a questionable process.

2. Inventory what is needed to get it on the road, safely. THis includes things like brakes and tires, oil change, chains, air filters, plugs, etc. IF this all exceeds several hundred dollars rethink this project and find another bike since, again, running GS bikes can be easily found. Tires and brakes are safety items, and while it's tempting to put that off I don't recommend it. I spend 200 dollars on my bike first month I had it buying pads and rubber.

3. Decide where you are going to get the missing parts from. Junkyards can be expensive and parts left in the rain are not worth much. eBay is your friend and Suzuki parts are there all the time. Focus on getting the engine started and then the bike driveable, worry about cosmetics after you have tags and registration completed.

4. Also your going to need a work area for this and decent tools. Torque wrench, voltmeter, metric tools, anda few other things. Owning a 26 YO bike is a hobby and a challange. Shops don't even want to see you come in with it. Lucky for you we can help and don't charge 80 dollars an hour to do so. You have to be your own judge as to whether you can repair and improve this ride. If your not sure how to do these things the repair manual can help, we can be a bigger help.

5. Last, consider buying another bike for parts. Make one good one from 2 or three. I have bought 2 Suzukis for parts and now I have 5 plastic containers with enough parts to build a second bike. I need something I go to my stash, I haven't been to the dealer in months.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

One big show stopper for many "project" bikes is simply legal -- do you have a valid, current title and registration in your name? Not one signed by someone five years ago when they supposedly gave it to their cousin's first wife's nephew's grandfather.

Without that piece of paper, you ain't gonna ride anywhere. You wouldn't BELIEVE how picky the DMV can get about these things.

Of course, since you'll likely need another bike or two for parts, one of these may also be able to "donate" the title needed. But make sure you read up on your local laws regarding titles and inspections. If they have to verify the numbers match, you'll be stuck using the frame that actually has the title.

Mechanically, everything centers around the carbs. Verify the engine's compression, and even if it's kinda bad, you can still get it to run before you tear into the engine. The biggest reason old bikes were pulled off the road is that someone let the carbs get gummed up, and then let it sit for several years. As long as the engine isn't siezed, it's probably OK.

First and foremost, you'll need to make certain that you have a set of carbs that you can rebuild -- if the slides still move, they're rebuildable. If the slides don't move, they might be rebuildable if the slides are merely stuck with old gas goo. If the slides are heavily corroded and stuck in place with corrosion, the carbs are likely not rebuildable.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

#1 reason bikes are in junk yards is lack of paperwork to register them.

I looked at your picture and man you have your work cut out for you. Looks like most of the upper body work and seat is gone. At least you have carbs. If it were a 1000 or a rare katana I would go for it but realistically I think it's best days are over.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  First and foremost, you'll need to make certain that you have a set of carbs that you can rebuild -- if the slides still move, they're rebuildable.
                  Maybe.

My carbs were in decent shape when I started working on them. Slides moved freely, butterflies opened easily, etc. When I took the bowls off I found out that one of the float bracket arms was broken (fixable), the idle screws were frozen solid with stripped heads (fixable, but very difficult), and one of the little brass tubes that goes down into the bowl was broken off halfway down and missing the broken part (okay, now I'm screwed).

The good news is, there is a parts wanted section here that is VERY handy, and there are good people here that are willing to sell/trade parts without wanting your kidney in exchange.

I would agree that you really need to sit down with paper and pencil before you turn a wrench. From just a cursory glance, you're going to need a tank (difficult to find one in mint condition, but fixable ones can be had), bodywork (mild to moderately difficult), and a seat (I'm STILL trying to find just a workable pan for mine, will probably attempt to make my own.) Also, you'll probably need carb rebuild kits, carb o-ring kit (someone here sells 'em cheap), definitely a battery, tires, new brake lines would be a good idea, and a service manual.

I'm not saying don't bother with the bike. First, do you want a restored original, something good enough to ride, or an all-out custom/chopper? Custom might actually be the cheapest way to go. And remember: Ebay, swap meets and this forum can be your best friends while building this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                    Maybe.

My carbs were in decent shape when I started working on them. Slides moved freely, butterflies opened easily, etc. When I took the bowls off I found out that one of the float bracket arms was broken (fixable), the idle screws were frozen solid with stripped heads (fixable, but very difficult), and one of the little brass tubes that goes down into the bowl was broken off halfway down and missing the broken part (okay, now I'm screwed).
                    Good point. You never know for sure what sort of damage a brainless previous owner (PO) might have inflicted until you actually take things apart.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you!

A huge thank you to all who responded!
                      I got so much more than I expected!

From this I understand that maybe I've bitten off a fair bit more than I can chew. (For now)
                      Im gonna take a few steps back, try to familiarize myself with the service manual first, make a list of whats missing, and then decide what to do.
                      A second parts bike sounds like a really good idea.

Much appreciation for all the tech tips, I'm sure I'll get a grasp of these soon.
                      Point taken with the paperwork problem, Im in the process of getting the Reg. done, but that might be worth holding out for too.

Thank you again!
                      Will def. keep you all posted, and hopefully put up a few pics of progress.
                      Mozez.

Comment

I just picked up a 1980 GS 750L yesterday for 100 bucks, 99% complete, with title. Better projects are out there, you just have to look

Comment

The decision to go ahead or not should be based on what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy riding, sell the current bike for parts and find something that runs. If you enjoy learning about restoring/repairing bikes, keep what you have as a hobby. You probably already understand that there will be considerable work involved just to determine what condition the engine is in. This is the reason most folks don't bother with non-running bikes.

I agree that without a title, you might as well part it out.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                            The decision to go ahead or not should be based on what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy riding, sell the current bike for parts and find something that runs. If you enjoy learning about restoring/repairing bikes, keep what you have as a hobby. You probably already understand that there will be considerable work involved just to determine what condition the engine is in. This is the reason most folks don't bother with non-running bikes.

I agree that without a title, you might as well part it out.
                            I tore down a parts bike to learn about how Suzukis are built and what it takes to do work on them. Your bike is a great learning tool but probably not worth spending a grand on. Fortunately SUzukis share many parts and even if you don't get the same exact year or model you can use it for parts.

Comment

Working...
                            X