Tire suggestions?? ('83 GS 750E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire suggestions?? ('83 GS 750E)

Well, just so you know I am a very novice rider with less than 10 hours total on a bike. But here is my problem:

I have an 85 GS750E that has 2 Metzler tires on it that are in dire need of replacing. The front one is a 100/90-19 ME33 Laser. The rear tire is a 130/90-17 M88 Marathon. I wanted to get the same rear tire, however acording to Metzler's web site, they don't produce the size I need.

The front is a different story. To me it looks well, stupid :P . It's not a very aggressive looking tread and doesn't look like it would hold the road very well. I was wondering if there is a better tire (possibly wider?) that I can have installed. Or should I just stick with the M33 Laser?

I will be using the bike mostly for commuting so the tires need to have good dry and wet weather handling (never know when you'll get caught in a sudden thunderstorm). I won't be doing any aggressive riding for a while (at least untill I am more experienced and have a better feel for the bike) but I do need a tire that won't be slipping around on the road. As for mileage, I plan on using the bike as my primary vehicle in the spring and summer because I need to keep the mileage off my Buick.

So what do you guys and gals suggest?
    Thanks

The Laser is a great tire and I know it used to be available in the Comp K race compound. Pair that up with a Metzeler ME99A Perfect or a ME55A Metronic and you've got a great set of tires. Finding tires in the sizes you need is tough. A 120 on the front is probably too much tire for the 2.15" rim. A 130 on the back is okay. Metzeler has the ME330 in a 110/90 which should be okay up front. Seems to be their replacement for the ME33.

Comment

Would going to a wider tire up front rub? Will it throw off the speedometer?

Comment

Clearance shouldn't be a problem. A 110 is only going to be about 1/2" wider than a 100. It shouldn't throw the speedo off by much. Most bike speedos are already off to the optomistic side. 60 on the speedo is usually more like 56 or 57.

Comment

I have a normal compound ME33 on the front of my GS1000. Grips as well as anything else I have ever used (on the road), and it steers better than just about anyhting else and is great in the wet. Soft compound tyres probbaly look more impressive, but don't deliver any better real world grip.

Comment

I have run nothing but a 120/80 on the front of my 83 750E for the past 20 years. Stock tire sizes on this bike are inadequite. The ME 33 is good, as well as the Dunlop 591. Another great feature of the ME 33 is that you can run any brand rear with it and it is a great wet road tire. I have used the Comp K ME 33 up front with a Dunlop 591 rear for many years with good results. FYI- I use the stock rim up front with an 1150GS 3.5 inch rear rim with a 140/70.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
              FYI- I use the stock rim up front with an 1150GS 3.5 inch rear rim with a 140/70.
              How much clearance is there with that rear tire? My 130 on the rear barely fits on there. But if a 140 will fit on an 1150 rim... I gues it's time to start looking for a new rim. BTW, what years will fit?

Comment

GS Tires

I converted my 84 GS750 to GSXR rims and now run MEZ4 tires. The radials are great. My experience has always been good with any Metzeler tires.

Kevan

Comment

I believe the 1150 rim is from an 85 model, the spoke pattern is identical to the stock 750. Besides smoothing out the inside of the swingarm(to get rid of the rough bead work), the only other mod I have to fit this tire/rim is a custom single-sided aluminum rear brake caliper support bracket. Mine is 1/4 inch thick and can be made by any machine shop (bring them the double-sided stock bracket to use as a template). Also the rear Dunlop is a 140/70 which is not very tall compared to a 130/90, and therefore does not fit as deep into the narrow part of the swingarm. Provides excellent traction until you start grinding the side stand mount . Ride On.

Comment

Getting back to the subject..for Matt!

Yes Matt, I would tend to agree with the others as the Metzlers are a good choice...Lazer up front and.....I would suggest the M55? in the rear as the 99 is a very old tread pattern and should be retired.
                    Watch the " compounds" you will be selecting. The tire will look identical from one to the other. The compounds refer to the type of rubber that is used in building the tire. Perhaps as many as three could exist for one tire....all three looking the same...No. 1 for mileage but low on traction
                    No. 2 for medium traction medium mileage
                    No. 3 for High traction poor mileage
                    Rick........
                    (P.S. I run the new Michelin Macadams but thats another story)

Comment

I have a perfect me 77 on the front of my 1000E do I need to put the same on the back,should I stay with metzlers or can I go to another manufacturer ?

Comment

Zeke matched pairs is always better because the tyres were designed to be used that way , but no you could put anything you want on the rear.
                        Dink

Comment

Working...
                        X