Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, brake light isn't working, wiring issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    If you only knew some of the things I've done:shock:

I resemble that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
      +1,000 for the brake light switch.

But to clarify, are you having problems with both the brake light for both the front and rear brakes?

The rear switch is a plunger switch, which is adjustable. The front switch is a sliding switch, which is non-adjustable (IIRC - I've swapped mine out). The contacts on the slider-portion of the switch can get worn and corroded. If you look underneath your front brake lever, you'll see where the wires go into the housing underneath a little cover. Remove the two screws for that cover very carefully, as there's a spring inside. Remove the spring and the slider, then spray some contact cleaner on the contacts inside the brake lever housing, and clean the slider contacts as well using some emery cloth. Apply no-ox grease to both contacts and reassemble. Not too much grease - just a small amount to cover the contacts - too much can attract dust. I believe there's a gasket under the cover as well, make sure that's in good shape to keep moisture out.

The spring can wear out and the slider can corrode or wear through easily. It's a poor design for a switch. I've swapped my controls out with newer Katana controls which use a sealed plunger-type switch. Drastic improvement, IMO.

Good luck, and if your rear brake doesn't engage the brake light, do try to adjust the plunger, along with checking the contacts. I'd check your switches before the wires, connections, or bulb housings - in that order.

And I believe your tail light should be on all the time, even on bikes where you can turn off the headlight.

-Q!

Yes I was having problems with both switches not lighting. The front will work but it cuts in and out. The cover for the front switch is cracked and I'm sure the contacts are dirty. I'll try to clean that on friday. I'll also try to adjust the rear switch too.

As far as the tail light always being on, mine's not. However in the state of tx u must have your headlight on at all times which in turn keeps the tail light on.

Comment

Working...
      X