550 Main Jet Assortment Prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 Main Jet Assortment Prob.

What is going on with my carbs? I have 4 sets of carbs for a 550. NO set has 4 jets the same size. They range from 92.5 to 115. I need HELP from a 550 expert. Why the variation? Does the 550 have some weird prob? I repeat HELP!!!

You need to get a manual. The manual should list the correct jetting for your bike. Different models/years of 550 may have different jets, or previous owners of those carbs may have re-jetted due to intake/exhaust upgrades. If you have the stock airbox and exhaust on your bike, you need to verify the correct stock jet size and go with that.

Comment

550 jets

I have a manual (clymers) and I know the what the jet size is supposed to be but I was struck by the variation. Is the variation just coincidence or is it a BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD thing? I may have 16 carbs off 16 different bikes, I dont know. One set has 3 different throttle plates! The weird thing is; when I got the bike I thought it ran great. Maybe the mech was just a GEENEIUS (NOT).

Comment

UUUhhhh, he said p*nis
        Yeah! He hee he hee he hee \\/
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by REDDY View Post
          What is going on with my carbs? I have 4 sets of carbs for a 550. NO set has 4 jets the same size. They range from 92.5 to 115. I need HELP from a 550 expert. Why the variation? Does the 550 have some weird prob? I repeat HELP!!!
          92.5 is the stock size. 40 is the stock pilot IIRC.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

550 carbs

I just disected my fourth set of carbs. The two best looking sets had 92.5 jets in one and four. second had 115 and the third had 110. I think this may be stretching coincidence pretty far. I think I need some more HELP. Both sets came from ZOOKll. They may have been in the same shop at one time or another. I am going to PM ZOOKll to see what she knows. If any one can set me straight I would GREATLY appreciate all views.

Comment

ARe you running an airbox? Are you running the stock exhaust? If you answer yes to those questions, run 92.5 jets.

That's the end of the story. :-)

Comment

550 carbs

Well I am going to take your advice and relax. I certainly appreciate the help. I am new to M/C tuning and I want to get it right the first time.8-[

Comment

Originally posted by REDDY View Post
                  Well I am going to take your advice and relax. I certainly appreciate the help. I am new to M/C tuning and I want to get it right the first time.8-[
                  The bike will "run" with some really funky jets in it. but itwon't run well. There is a thread with "stock carb settings". I'll dig up the thread for you later. :-) But 92.5 is right for stock parts.

Don't worry, you will get it wrong the first few times. :-) That's what we're here for. I've done just about everything you can concieve of to a 1980 GS550E. That includes wrong things.

Comment

I just had a flashback to the first time I rebuilt the carbs on my VT700C Shadow......carbs all clean and pretty, everything back together, ready to put back on the bike.....

"Ummm, crap, where'd these two springs come from?"

SH*T!!!!!!!!

Three hours and a LOT of new swear words later, I had the bike running. This was with TWO manuals, on a clean workbench with fluorescent lighting.

Screw going for a test run, I needed beer!

Comment

Working...
                    X