Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other petcocks that will fit a 1980 GS750LT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

I've got a '80 GS750LT, with a bad petcock (prime setting doesn't work). Its one of the shallow ones, with the small dial you need to turn with a screwdriver. Its annoying, not to mention very hard to find (or, expensive). I was wondering if I can use a petcock from another year? It appears that a deeper one with a regular switch will fit under the tank, but I'm concerned about the distance between the bolts. Obviously the tank mount has to be identical. Anybody know off hand what model petcocks might fit? Earlier or later?

Thanks

-Warren

About $60 for a new one for you. I bought my replacement from here.

Comment

I know they are there, I should have said I was looking at ones from other years, new and used on ebay for $15+, more what I'm looking to spend.

-Warren

Comment

Warren, I don't think that petcock is supposed to move... It's an "always on" kind of thing.

But you could have mine-- I think my bike has bit it, so I'm offering it up as a parts bike. You could probably get it running again with a rectifier, battery, stator, and engine rebuild

Comment

No, the regular manual petcocks won't line up properly because of the spacing between the bolt holes.

Did your petcock work on prime before?
          Which way did you turn the dial on your petcock, clockwise or counter clockwise?

You might want to check that out before relagating yourself to buying a new petcock. I have no idea why Suzuki put that style petcock on your bike but look at it this way; you won't break the lever off of your petcock

Jay

Comment

Yes I've been emailing people on ebay and finding that the bolts don't line up properly.

I've turned the petcock every which way. What happened originally is that it wouldn't start and the battery died. Basically I needed to "prime" it again to get it going, but no luck. I took off the petcock, took it apart, everything looked ok, it held a vacuum, etc. But when I spun the dial horizontal & vertical, nothing happened. I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to work.

-Warren

Comment

You can make an adapter plate from a piece of 3/8" aluminum and use any petcock you wish. It would cost almost nothing for a piece of aluminum that small. Pingel petcocks are the same way. they sell the same petcock for everyone and furnish an adapter plate for different bikes.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X