need help with Electrix Regulator rectifier on '78 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with Electrix Regulator rectifier on '78 GS550

So the rectifier blew out on my gs550 due to a bad ground connection. So I found this web page and ordered up a new Electrix rectifier (#RR10). I got here today (really quick shipping!) and the thing is twice the size of the stock one! So now I'm baffeled as to where to mount the thing.
    Also, it says its a regulator rectifier and from reading older posts it sounds like this is two different OEM parts on the bike and the Electrix unit is the two combined? Am I right on this? do I just wire it back up just like the stock rectifier? Any mounting suggestions and info?
    Thanks!

Re: need help with Electrix Regulator rectifier on '78 GS550

On my GS750, the original rectifier was mounted under the left side cover and the regulator was wounted to the bottom of the battery box. I put my electrex RR-10 under the right side cover. The required removing the battery, and drilling holes in the side of the battery holder so I could bolt down the RR-10. Put the bolts through from the inside of the battery holder with the nuts on the outside. This insures the bolts will not rub through your battery. If your 550 in stock form has its regulator and rectifier combined, then yes, the wiring will be exactly the same. If it does have a separate regulator, then the wiring connections will be different.
    My electrex came with instructions. Which do you have?

Earl

Originally posted by RdubGS
    So the rectifier blew out on my gs550 due to a bad ground connection. So I found this web page and ordered up a new Electrix rectifier (#RR10). I got here today (really quick shipping!) and the thing is twice the size of the stock one! So now I'm baffeled as to where to mount the thing.
    Also, it says its a regulator rectifier and from reading older posts it sounds like this is two different OEM parts on the bike and the Electrix unit is the two combined? Am I right on this? do I just wire it back up just like the stock rectifier? Any mounting suggestions and info?
    Thanks!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Okay now I got another problem, on my Elecrix unit, there is one red wire and three yellow wires. The stock one has them all color coded. I know that the three yellow ones would go to the stator but does it matter in which order? Also, my bike does have an seperate voltage regulator. Would the Electrix unit eliminate this or do I need to wire them up together?

Yours came with instructions? Mine sure didn't. It's a RR10.
      thanks

Comment

Okay now I got another problem, on my Elecrix unit, there is one red wire and three yellow wires. The stock one has them all color coded. I know that the three yellow ones would go to the stator but does it matter in which order? Also, my bike does have an seperate voltage regulator. Would the Electrix unit eliminate this or do I need to wire them up together?

thanks
        It does not matter which of the three yellow wires go to different wires on the stator. I believe that the rr10 should replace both but call Electrex to double check that.

Hap

Comment

I've had an RR10 installed for about a year. It is a combination regulator and rectifier. The old regulator should be discarded.

Earl

Originally posted by Hap Call

thanks
          It does not matter which of the three yellow wires go to different wires on the stator. I believe that the rr10 should replace both but call Electrex to double check that.

Hap
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            I've had an RR10 installed for about a year. It is a combination regulator and rectifier. The old regulator should be discarded.

Earl
            Earl knows rectifiers! I overlooked the RR10 in your post. RDub, you can trust Earl on this!

Hap

Comment

Working...
            X