Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help my 82 GS750 is flooding out and I can find the reason.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help my 82 GS750 is flooding out and I can find the reason.

It wont stop flooding out.

There is a pretty good chance your floats are sunk.....in fuel.

If the petcock is on PRIme, then fuel will run freely to the carbs, but the purpose of the floats/needle valves is to stop it from running into the carbs as overflow.

You have to open the carbs and check the float position, and see if there is dirt holding the needles from seating. You may need new needles/seats, but first check for dirt. The dirt would likely come from the tank, via the fuel......instal an in-line fuel filter....you should have one anyway.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Flooding GS750t

Thanks ,I have checked the fuel cock and it is working properly and the carbs are clean.The floats are dry and the float neddles seem to be clean. I also have a clean tank/gas and a new fuel filter.Do you think it needs new neddle seats?

Comment

Re: Flooding GS750t

You may need new needle seats but I would make one more check before buying them. If the seat tabs for the carb floats are bent too far down (relative to when the carbs are right side up, its possible the float is floating to the top of the bowl before the tab engages the shut off/needle seat. Turn the carbs upside down, remove all bowls, and set the float heights to (I believe its 21 to 23 mm) for your model bike. Put the bowls back on and check for fuel overflow again. That may stop it.

Earl

Originally posted by zentar
        Thanks ,I have checked the fuel #### and it is working properly and the carbs are clean.The floats are dry and the float neddles seem to be clean. I also have a clean tank/gas and a new fuel filter.Do you think it needs new neddle seats?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You need to physically remove the needles, clean them and exanine them for any grouves that would keep them from seating

Comment

Also check O-rings at needle valves

Comment

Re: Help!!! My GS750t is flooding out and nothing stops it.

The fuel #### is working great...
              I'm no expert, but I know a lot of these problems can be traced to petcocks that are NOT working great! My '81 bike would start with clean plugs, then would begin to run poorly, then would stall out - all the fault of a bad vacuum petcock. If you have a vacuum petcock, as I suspect, perhaps the vacuum diaphram is bad. In my case, I diagnosed the problem by pinching shut the vacuum line from the petcock to my number two intake runner, then took the bike for a ride with the petcock set at "prime". Problem solved! You'd probably notice the number two spark plug sooting up or being wet/gummy - somehow looking significantly different than its neighbours. (If this is a carb problem, it's unlikely they're all bad unless the floats are incorrectly set. You need to check the condition of all the spark plugs and let us know how they look - is their condition different cylinder to cylinder?) I replaced the old petcock and all has been well for more than a year. By the way, ensure that you haven't ended up with fuel in your crankcase. Watch for any significant increase in your oil level.

Good luck.

Comment

Reply to checking plugs/vacume

Al, thanks for the advise.Its hard to tell any difference in the plugs because their new and all seem to be dry but the bike has only run for about 15 min. since I put a new stator in it.It does seem to run good when you first take off but after it warms up and I ride it down the street it still floods out and gas starts leaking out of the breather box drain.Ive checked the fuelcok and it works in the on position whe the bike is running,so I quess the vacume is working properly.I have keep a close eye on the oil and havent noticed any gas leakage into it. When I cleaned the carbs they appeared to look fine and I checked the floats by the specs. and I was kinda unsure where to do the measurement from. I know it should be 23 mm. from the bottom of the carb to the float. I knew that when i bought this bike that it had a short and that it run great 1 year ago but it has really suprised me that even after cleaning the tank/carbs and fixing the short that It still floods out.My son races MX so I worked on his 2 stroke alot(even new topend between races)and have never had something stump me like this.HELP!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Reply to checking plugs/vacume

Al, thanks for the advise.Its hard to tell any difference in the plugs because their new and all seem to be dry but the bike has only run for about 15 min. since I put a new stator in it.It does seem to run good when you first take off but after it warms up and I ride it down the street it still floods out and gas starts leaking out of the breather box drain.Ive checked the fuelcok and it works in the on position whe the bike is running,so I quess the vacume is working properly.I have keep a close eye on the oil and havent noticed any gas leakage into it. When I cleaned the carbs they appeared to look fine and I checked the floats by the specs. and I was kinda unsure where to do the measurement from. I know it should be 23 mm. from the bottom of the carb to the float. I knew that when i bought this bike that it had a short and that it run great 1 year ago but it has really suprised me that even after cleaning the tank/carbs and fixing the short that It still floods out.My son races MX so I worked on his 2 stroke alot(even new topend between races)and have never had something stump me like this.HELP!!!!!!!
                  Im confused about your description of the symptoms. Heres why
                  You said its hard to read the plucs because they have not been in long enough. If you are flooding the plugs will get dark the forst time it happens..Ill bet you have a problem other than flooding

Comment

Re: Reply to checking plugs/vacume

Originally posted by slopoke
                    If you are flooding the plugs will get dark the forst time it happens..Ill bet you have a problem other than flooding
                    Maybe a problem in addition to flooding. We still have to get past that fuel dripping from the airbox. Of course, all four stroke plugs look clean to guys with two stroke experience!

Comment

Flooding out

I did forget to add that when I take the carbs off and turn them over to take the bowls off that there is always 2 carbs. that have fuel in them and the other 2 appear to be dry.This may be nothing but just in case.Ill pull the plugs and look at them again when I get off work.I dont have much time to work on it because I work 24 hr. shifts and a part time job that also keeps me busy along with 2 very time demanding kids.Iam by no means a mechanic but I have done alot of shade tree work on motorcycles and lawnmowers and this is the first one that I cant figure out. Mabey I should bight the bullet and take it to the shop and shell out a couple hundred bucks.I do appreciate all the advice that everyone has given.Ill try one more time before I take that drastic measure.Ill let everyone know how it goes,It will be Wensday before I have a chance to work on it again.

Comment

Another thought...what condition were the rubber plugs covering the pilot jets when you had the carbs apart? If they leak and or missing this may be a contributing factor and as someone else mentioned the o-rings around the needle seat. Items #39, 50 at the following link.

Comment

Flooding problems

After reading that last response It was brought to my attention that when I cleaned the carbs I did not remove the cover(all 4 are in place) and did not clean the pilot jets.Could that cause #3 and#4 to flood out.My wife removed the plugs and carbs today while Iam at work and she said that #3 and #4 plugs were darker than #1 and#2 and she also said that when she turned the carbs over and pulled the bowls off that the matching carbs were full of gas and the other 2 once again seemed dry.Do you think that could be the cause of it flooding in those two carbs?

Comment

Re: Flooding problems

After reading that last response It was brought to my attention that when I cleaned the carbs I did not remove the cover(all 4 are in place) and did not clean the pilot jets.Could that cause #3 and#4 to flood out.My wife removed the plugs and carbs today while Iam at work and she said that #3 and #4 plugs were darker than #1 and#2 and she also said that when she turned the carbs over and pulled the bowls off that the matching carbs were full of gas and the other 2 once again seemed dry.Do you think that could be the cause of it flooding in those two carbs?
                            It really sounds like your carbs need a thorough cleaning. My suggestion would be to follow the carb cleanup guide from the homepage of this site http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm and replace all the o-rings that can be purchased form robert barr at the following link http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/ Set your carbs per specs reassemble, then if you still have problems we'll go from there. Don't give up there's enough cumulative expertise represented in this forum to repair anything. Good luck.

Comment

The pilot jets being dirty will not cause flooding, if anything it would cause a lean condition at idle. You either have bad float needles, incorrect float heighth, or the o-rings on the float needle seats are leaking. The o-ring wraps around the needle valve and they dry out and shrink with age. You can also shave off a bit off it reinstalling them if they are not oiled. You can easily have fuel seeping around them.

Comment

Working...
                              X