intake boots: kaputt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake boots: kaputt?

Since the riding season is definately over here in the North, I'm taking on some of my neglected repairs. I was having a chronic lean condition with my bike all summer, (whiteish - grey plugs).

What I've done up to this point:
    - Improved the seal of the air box (with new side cover rubbers)
    - Adjusted the pilot mixture screws, (no improvement in the lean condition).
    -The last test I did was to spray some WD 40 around the intake boots at idle.
    (The spray definately caused the idle to fluctuate).

On the intake boots (where it bolts to the manifold) there is some flaking on the original rubber-coated surface. Basically, there is a fair amount of metal exposed and I'm wondering if this could be a source of air leakage. (I have a digital picture of this, but for some reason it exceeds the limit for a post). My question is: do the boots need to be replaced at this point, or can I just install new o-rings to seal things up?

If the boots have never been replaced, I personally would definitely go ahead and replace them ASAP. If the original phillips head screws are still holding them on, they're likely original. (If they are, you'll need a good cobalt drill bit and a right-angle drill adaptor, since most or all of the screws will be seized.)

If your bike has some freakishly low number of miles, there's a chance the boots still could be good. If they feel flexible and there are no cracks, it might be worth a try if you don't mind pulling it apart again later.

The exterior flaking doesn't necessarily mean the boots themselves are leaking, but it does indicate that they are getting very weathered and aren't long for this world. If it's any consolation, new intake boots make it much easier to get the carbs off and on.

You've, uh, seen this already, right?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the link (lots of useful info). From that I assume that I'll likely be ordering new boots. And yes, I will have to contend with the phillips head challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by rthor View Post
        Thanks for the link (lots of useful info). From that I assume that I'll likely be ordering new boots. And yes, I will have to contend with the phillips head challenge.
        When it comes to getting the screws out, I had perfect success when using a Vise Grip (the genuine Vise Grip) and a small hammer. Clamp the Vise Grip on the head of the top screw, as tight as you can get it, dont worry if you mess up the head, it's comming out anyway and lightly tap on the Vise Grip with a hammer. They will come out. Next, rotate the intake boot left or counter clockwise to get an angle at the bottom screws...I tapped lightly on the boot where it meets the head, with a block of wood and the hammer and all but one of the screws loosened on its own. It was just as easy as it sounds! Good Luck.

Comment

I just replaced the intake boots on my 79 GS850 and it made a HUGE difference in how my bike starts and runs.

I also had problems removing the phillips head screws. I used a small chisel to notch the side of the screwhead, then tipped the chisel back and tapped it to rotate the screw around.

Replaced them with some nice stainless allen head screws.

Indy had the best prices on the boots I found.

Don't forget the o-rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            When it comes to getting the screws out, I had perfect success when using a Vise Grip (the genuine Vise Grip) and a small hammer. Clamp the Vise Grip on the head of the top screw, as tight as you can get it, dont worry if you mess up the head, it's comming out anyway and lightly tap on the Vise Grip with a hammer. They will come out. Next, rotate the intake boot left or counter clockwise to get an angle at the bottom screws...I tapped lightly on the boot where it meets the head, with a block of wood and the hammer and all but one of the screws loosened on its own. It was just as easy as it sounds! Good Luck.
            Good info!

You do have to be careful if you drill the screw heads off -- it's almost impossible to avoid nicking the boots. Not a big deal if they're getting replaced anyway. Once the screw heads are off, they always seem to unscrew easily with a pair of vice-grips on the stub.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

just attempting to launch this image from photobucket....

This is what I'm talking about. (replace or repair?)

Comment

just attempting to launch this image from photobucket....

This is what I'm talking about. (replace or repair?)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...IMG_0761-2.jpg
                Yoicks! Those screws have definitely never been removed.

FWIW, the metal part of the flange extends up into the rubber part -- they're not just butted together flat and glued. The rubber is molded around the metal part.

The boots still need to come out so you can replace the o-rings, but if the boots are still flexible enough so that you can remove and replace the carbs without enlisting a couple of large friends, you might be able to get by with them for a bit longer.

Personally, I'd go without Happy Meals for a while and just go ahead and get new intake boots so I can worry about all the other stuff that might go wrong for the next 20 years or so.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

I might as well get the complete set of boots and do the job right. I checked with Bike Bandit and they want $25 shipping for just the o-rings (to Canada).
                  (Seems a little high in my opinion....) Probably if I order the complete boot and o-ring set, shipping will be the same price anyway.

thank for your input people

Comment

I might as well get the complete set of boots and do the job right. I checked with Bike Bandit and they want $25 shipping for just the o-rings (to Canada).
                    (Seems a little high in my opinion....) Probably if I order the complete boot and o-ring set, shipping will be the same price anyway.

thank for your input people
                    Have you checked with your friendly local Suzuki dealer? (Assuming there is one closer than 150 miles away.) In the states, BikeBandit's shipping charges are very reasonable - usually $4 to $6 for smallish packages.

But shipping to Canada is becoming more and more of a pain all the time. With all the forms you have to fill out, I can see why they charge more. There must be too many terrorists ordering obscure Suzuki parts, so the borders must be protected for the sake of the children -- better bury people in paperwork and customs fees. Or something like that.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                    X