Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder block gasket surface pitting

'79 GS 850

I've been messing around cleaning up the gasket surfaces on my cylinder block, preparing it for a possible bore job.

Once I got the gasket off, I noticed about a 1 by 1/8" inch section of "pitting" on the gasket surface that mates to the cylinder head. Its along the edge of the gasket surface on the front side of the block.

Its not close to the sleeve at all and the bottom side of the block looks perfect. Cylinder head is good too.

Is this a problem or not? Even a potential problem or not?

Thanks for any input.

Not really, when you get it bored get it decked too, machine shop should recommend it.
    Of cause you can DIY it with grinding paste and a sheet of glass, remember to work in a "figure 8" motion.

Dink

Comment

I have the same pitting problem in the same area. I wonder if liquid metal can be applied to the affected area and then stoned to a smooth finish,. What do you think? Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
        Of cause you can DIY it with grinding paste and a sheet of glass, remember to work in a "figure 8" motion.

Dink
        Wish I had enough guts to try that. But I don't think I do.

Comment

Mark

I'm feeling left out. I had no pitting on mine. Its also a 79, but it was fitted with a multi layer(5 layers) steel gasket.
          I presume the pitting was 1" long x 1/8" wide. How deep?
          This may have been caused by electrolysis.
          If its not too deep you could ignore it or, do as Dink says have it decked by your machinist.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla View Post
            I have the same pitting problem in the same area. I wonder if liquid metal can be applied to the affected area and then stoned to a smooth finish,. What do you think? Ted
            Filling with "liquid metal" would NOT be a good idea as the heat will cause it to shrink, get decked, or get a sheet of glass and grinding paste.
            How far from the combustion chamber is this pitting??
            Unless it is closer than 1/4" you could probably get away leaving it alone.
            I would recommend letting a machine shop look at it for there opinion.

Dink

Comment

All the pitting is outside the cylinder block/head bolts. The one shop I asked said it was "probably" O.K. and not to worry about it That's helpful ...:?. I'm going to look into milling it.

I've got some time with this and will keep asking around. Sounds like I'm not the only one whose run into this.

Comment

Working...
              X