Mirrors - Anyway to tighten??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors - Anyway to tighten??

Anyone know any tricks to tighten the mirror ball joint up on these? At anything over 60 all I get to see is my chest in the left one... the right one is fine.

I have tried pushing it down & rotating a few turns clockwise, made no difference, if not I'll have to change them I guess... Any recomendations for cheap replacements with a good view that won't have this problem??

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

If you're talking about where the mirror post goes into the handlebar, then you need to get a proper wrench (12mm?) and tighten down the "nut" while holding the mirror in place.

If you're referring to where the post attaches to the mirror, then you'll need to replace the mirror. Most bike shops carry Napolean mirrors that are similar to the OEM Suzuki mirrors. Unless, of course, you want to pony up the extra $ for an OEM mirror.

What type of mirror is it, and which side? I've been meaning to get rid of the OEM mirror, I'll have to check which side, for a Napolean. It's a rectangular type with a plastic housing for the mirror. I can post a pic if needed.

*EDIT* I just saw your pics. My right one is OEM. Sorry.

Brad bt

Comment

While you're waiting on a replacement why not spin the post forward and retighten it at the position where the mirror is usable and stays put?

Comment

I got some chrome round ones off eBay for under $20. They're great and I think they look much better than stock. There's all kinds of aftermarket mirrors on eBay for cheap, though, so unless you're a stickler for stock, it's a cheap repair.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
          While you're waiting on a replacement why not spin the post forward and retighten it at the position where the mirror is usable and stays put?
          I'm thinking his problem is from a worn socket at the mirror. Only cure is to replace the mirror. I had a similar problem on my 750. The sockey had worn to the point where the wind from moving would cause the mirror to change positions. Unless there's something he can purchase to tighten the joint, the only option is to replace the mirror.

Brad bt

Comment

Napolean makes very high quality replacements and seem to be the OEM manufacturer.

Comment

Before I replaced the mirrors on my bike, I had the same problem. I turned the mirror clockwise on the post while gently pulling up on the mirror. There is a washer and a nut inside the mirror. I managed to tighten the mirror enough to make it stay put.

Comment

Well I'll have a go at the twist & pull & if not replace, I was hoping to get the OEM round chrome ones from the original owner but he can't find them... you can bet he'll find them the day after I replace them!!

When I'm looking on Fleabay, what's the sort of sizing & thread size that I need?

Cheers,

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Don't buy any for/from a Yamaha, the threads are opposite on one side. Harley mirrors use a smaller stem and won't work without an adapter. Everything else should fit, it's a 10mm stem if you're wondering.

For now, you can "jury rig" it with a hose clamp. It'll get you by until the new ones come in. Yeah, it looks tacky, but not as tacky as a Peterbilt tattoo on your back.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                    Don't buy any for/from a Yamaha, the threads are opposite on one side.....
                    Well this explains why I had such a hard time removing a R/H mirror from the Yamaha I picked up over the summer. I thought it had been cross threaded in, man-O-man put a wrench in some peoples hands:? . The threads on the mirror itself were ok after a good picking of thread shards and a wire brushing.

Monk, have a look at oldbikebill on eBay. Very good to deal with may have something to suit your needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X