Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembling Top End Query

Hi All.

I'm in the process of a top end rebuild on my 81 GSX1100EX using Wiseco 1166 pistons. The guy who organised the rebore (a very experienced drag racer) advised me, when reassembling, to lubricate only the bottom 1/2 inch of the barrells to help ease the pistions in, and said that to lubricate the entire barrels could cause the bore to glaze with the result of poor oil consumption.
    This goes against everything I've read about engine assembly, and I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the subject?

RomneyRam

Never heard this before, I've installed several and always oiled the cylenders, top to bottom, pistons, and rings and never had any problems. Rekon why oil the bottom 1/2 inch? the rings don't go that low. Will be interesting to hear others ideas.

Comment

I believe that the whole jug will get(need )oil while running during break in so what purpose could only oiling the bottom section serve. The second you start it the oil will be splashed all over the jug as it is suposed to.

Comment

Never heard of such a thing. Oil the whole bore or you will score the walls. The guy who told you not to is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
          Never heard of such a thing. Oil the whole bore or you will score the walls. The guy who told you not to is nuts.
          although I am nuts, I did not oil mine, and it is just fine, low oil consumption, good compresion.
          Scotty, you oil the bottom half to help slide the pistons in.

Comment

Glad to see I am not the only nut around. I don't see any harm in oiling the bores. I have rebuilt Triumph engines and have always oiled the cylinder walls before installing pistons. That's the way I was taught to do things.

Comment

VERY light application of oil on the piston, rings. dry very clean cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                Originally posted by VStan
                although I am nuts, I did not oil mine, and it is just fine, low oil consumption, good compresion.
                Scotty, you oil the bottom half to help slide the pistons in.
                we understand that --I gues i should have said the ONLY oiling the bottom half would not really change any thing.

Comment

I would only oil the piston and rings, not the bore.
                  Dink

Comment

I use kleenex with engine oil on it to clean/oil the bores. Just put a dab of oil on the kleenex and wipe out the cylinder. If the kleenex comes out with any traces of dirt on it do it again. You may end up using a whole box on a 4 cylinder but it is worth it. I guess this is also enough oil for the first startup.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for your input everybody,

By consensus I think I'll lube the pistons and rings as a minumum.

Romneyram

Comment

Oil the whole bore.
                        Wipe off the excess with piston at BDC before fitting head.

Bore glazing will not occur if the engine is broken in PROPERLY. Glazing is NOT a function of the oil used during rebuild.

Better too much than not enough, the excess will soon burn off. The area below the rings is splashed with oil anyway, the area where the rings run is being wiped too hard to allow any excess oil to stay there.

Streessing the rings and bores correctly during break-in will ensure that glazing does not occur.

Comment

Working...
                        X