gsxr mono shock on a 700e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr mono shock on a 700e

I have a mono shock from a late model GSXR, the shock looks new that I am tryin to put on a 1985 GS700E. Has anyone done this before and can provide guidance?

Originally posted by rgierer View Post
    I have a mono shock from a late model GSXR, the shock looks new that I am tryin to put on a 1985 GS700E. Has anyone done this before and can provide guidance?
    I sent one to kingofvenus and he said he bolted it on. If it's the type with the piggyback reservoir you have to bolt them on upside-down. I'd recommend using some bronze or brass washers between the lower mounting point and the clevis on the GSXR shock.

Comment

I am happy to mount it upside down. Does than imply that the arm on the shock is at the bottom or the top? Sorry for being dense I just don't know.

Comment

I am happy to mount it upside down. Does than imply that the arm on the shock is at the bottom or the top? Sorry for being dense I just don't know.
        What year shock did you get? The one i sent Dee was a very low mileage '97 model and the length was just about perfect. You don't want to utilize any of the levers or arms that might be on the GSXR shock. The one I sent looked like this.

Comment

After refreshing my memory with the picture it's the top mounting point where you should use some bronze or brass washers between the clevis and the top mounting location.

Comment

So I take it the arm/protrubance is on the bottom, ie the opposite end from the clevis.

Thanks

Comment

So I take it the arm/protrubance is on the bottom, ie the opposite end from the clevis.

Thanks
              The clevis when mounted on a GSXR is the bottom of the shock. It will end up as the top for you. Some of the shocks for sale on Ebay still have parts attached that are GSXR specific. You want to end up with the mounting points looking like the shock in the picture I posted. You should PM kingofvenus and ask him how his installation went. He told me the handling was like night and day after the installation. The protruberance on the shock I posted is an oil reservoir.

Comment

Thanks, I PM'd Kingofvenus last night. I appreiciate your counsel.

Comment

Can I add my question to this?

A few years ago a friend gave me an 86 GSXR750 frame with a White Bros suspension unit installed. He also gave me a box of parts that, lo and behold, had the original GSXR suspension unit among the other stuff. My question: can either unit be installed in my 1985 GS700E?

I'm in the process of doing a complete engine rebuild so I have all kinds of room to work.

If necessary, I can take a couple of pictures of the 86 unit and submit it to the forum.

Any help that anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mad Doctor
                  Last edited by maddoctor; 12-04-2006, 07:51 PM.
                  Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
                  '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
                  '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Comment

Originally posted by maddoctor View Post
                    A few years ago a friend gave me an 86 GSXR750 frame with a White Bros suspension unit installed. He also gave me a box of parts that, lo and behold, had the original GSXR suspension unit among the other stuff. My question: can either unit be installed in my 1985 GS700E?

I'm in the process of doing a complete engine rebuild so I have all kinds of room to work.

If necessary, I can take a couple of pictures of the 86 unit and submit it to the forum.

Any help that anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mad Doctor
                    It should fit, a friend used an Ohlins shock out of an early GSXr on his 1150, seeing as you have the bike disassembled why not "suck it and see" use the white bros one instead of the stock one; people are starting to collect & restore early GSXR's so the stock shock will be worth money on Ebay.

Dink

Comment

Working...
                    X