Knowledge needed on 81 650 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge needed on 81 650 GL

Would these work instead of the air box? If so,would carburation need to be changed?

Yes and yes.

I have a similar set on my '82 650. How much the jetting needs to be changed will depend on a couple of other things, too. Do you still have the stock exhaust pipes or a header? There are others on this board that can give more details like WHAT to change and HOW MUCH to change, but I seem to remember that you need to change the jets a size or two for the pods, and another couple of size if you have a pipe.

Until you get it jetted correctly and running right, be ready for a bit of disappointment. If you are expecting a bunch more power with the pods, you may be disappointed anyway. You will get more intake noise and it SOUNDS more powerful, but you may not be able to verify without a dyno or a dragstrip. It is my opinion that neither one of these really matter in normal, day-to-day driving, but lots of luck with your project.

Last edited by Steve; 11-19-2006, 10:40 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I might worry that they are a completely unidentified brand, they may be foam or paper but you cant tell from the pics. are they reusable? maybe ask if he'll tell you brand/ model, etc.?

might see how many he has myself, give us a report eh?:-D

Comment

I was reading A KEITH KRAUSE post on a 650e question on header and pod carb changes. My airbox cover is a pita to get the clips on(the cover part where the clip attaches is screwed up . The space in general is super tight and I thought this would free up space also. After reading Keith's post I don't think it's worth it. I've bid on a used airbox on E-bay (Just need the cover](*,) ) Nothing is as simple as I would like it. Thanks for steering me right!

Comment

airbox lid

I have the same setup, and thought cutting an opening in the bottom of the airbox lid might enable more airflow.

It had no effect that I can determine, the slot is now blanked off with black duct tape. Just so you don't spend time going down a blind alley.

Comment

Thanks rick. My thing is I want to seal my air box better. Where the clip attaches the cover is screwed up,sorta cross threaded and can come loose on the bottom. I know when it comes loose 'cause my idle jumps a bit.:-D I had heard of drilling the airbox when you're in high altitude to make up for the air thinness.

Comment

probably a good idea,

I have a hole in my airbox covered with duct tape from trying that, didn't matter. my cover never closed right with only the one clip, but then I got a replacement and thought it ran better without so I drilled it. pretty sure the half inch hole didn't make any diff.

Comment

Working...
              X