Boy am i a great mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy am i a great mechanic

I put a little seal in the yammy yesterday. used the body puller to remove it--no sweat. oiled the outer surface of the seal-oiled the surface of the case drove it in with a properly sized socket and my rubber malett((i dont know why i used a rubber malett) Looked like i shaved off some of the outer surface of the new seal as i was driving it in. it leaks now from the outer surface of the seal and not in the middle where the clutch rod goes through it as the old one did. I will get another and do it again. It sure looked like i was driving it in straight

Tips and advice please.

Scotty Put just a little bit of silicon sealer on the outside of the seal or on the case itself.That sould seal it as "scraping" the out side of the new seal is nearly impossible to do.

Comment

Re: Boy am i a great mechanic

Just a thought here Scotty. I have never needed to do this so this is not from experience. Have you considered putting the new seal in your freezer for maybe a half an hour. It should contract just enough that you may be able to push it in gently with your fingers.

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
      I put a little seal in the yammy yesterday. used the body puller to remove it--no sweat. oiled the outer surface of the seal-oiled the surface of the case drove it in with a properly sized socket and my rubber malett((i dont know why i used a rubber malett) Looked like i shaved off some of the outer surface of the new seal as i was driving it in. it leaks now from the outer surface of the seal and not in the middle where the clutch rod goes through it as the old one did. I will get another and do it again. It sure looked like i was driving it in straight

Tips and advice please.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyterb
        Scotty Put just a little bit of silicon sealer on the outside of the seal or on the case itself.That sould seal it as "scraping" the out side of the new seal is nearly impossible to do.
        Bryan are you saying to just leave this seal in and use something like permatex black on it???

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          Just a thought here Scotty. I have never needed to do this so this is not from experience. Have you considered putting the new seal in your freezer for maybe a half an hour. It should contract just enough that you may be able to push it in gently with your fingers.

Earl

Tips and advice please.
          ill try that after i use the silicone to stop thr leak if i must buy a new a
          seal the freezer idea sounds lik a winner--thanks Brian and Earl

Comment

Just to let you know brian what i meant by scraping the outside of the seal is that while i was driving it in i shaved a bit of the outer rubber from the seal as it passed into the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

Tips and advice please.
              I think that would have done it Earl

Comment

Scotty, I am all in favour of making things work, but seals tend to be problematic, being disposed to leaking a dayor two after installation. It's much better to have them work from day one. If the seal is cheap enough, pull it, chuck it, and use Earl's idea with a new one. Also coat it and the tube with silicone spray before installing it.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                  Scotty, I am all in favour of making things work, but seals tend to be problematic, being disposed to leaking a dayor two after installation. It's much better to have them work from day one. If the seal is cheap enough, pull it, chuck it, and use Earl's idea with a new one. Also coat it and the tube with silicone spray before installing it.
                  cheap is not the problem Ron. it takes about 9 days to get another one . i will try the black permatex first and if it doesnt hold i will then re order the little bugger and freeze it first

Comment

Also warm up the case before dropping your cold seal in. I bet it would just, quite literally, fall right into place.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
                      Also warm up the case before dropping your cold seal in. I bet it would just, quite literally, fall right into place.
                      You know Bob, the bike was ice cold when i did the job. My garage is colder than a refrigerator rhese last few days.--that may have been the original cause for the shaving of the seal on the installation.

Comment

Scotty,
                        I had the same thing happen to my old 550 when I replaced the right hand crank seal. It took three tries to get it in without leaking. Let me tell you, it wasn't cheat(15 bucks a seal). I put a little motor oil on my finger, then rubbed it around the outside of the seal. Did the same thing on the end of the crankshaft. I also had a buddy help me the third time, to make sure I was driving the seal straight in. It still shaved a little rubber, but it never leaked. I guess I did replace the push rod seal on the 550 also. It also shaved some rubber off.

I have also replaced the rh crank seal on my 850, and it shaved a little off the seal, but it has never leaked. I didn't used any form-a-gasket, because it was right next to the crank bearings.

I believe the only way to replace a seal like these without shaving any rubber would be to split the case, but in most cases, there is no need for that. I had also considered freezing the seals, but I never did try it.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s
                          Scotty,
                          I had the same thing happen to my old 550 when I replaced the right hand crank seal. It took three tries to get it in without leaking. Let me tell you, it wasn't cheat(15 bucks a seal). I put a little motor oil on my finger, then rubbed it around the outside of the seal. Did the same thing on the end of the crankshaft. I also had a buddy help me the third time, to make sure I was driving the seal straight in. It still shaved a little rubber, but it never leaked. I guess I did replace the push rod seal on the 550 also. It also shaved some rubber off.

I have also replaced the rh crank seal on my 850, and it shaved a little off the seal, but it has never leaked. I didn't used any form-a-gasket, because it was right next to the crank bearings.

I believe the only way to replace a seal like these without shaving any rubber would be to split the case, but in most cases, there is no need for that. I had also considered freezing the seals, but I never did try it.
                          I just did the black permatex and if that doesnt hold im going to try a new seal and the freezer method

Comment

Working...
                          X