Brake Pads - I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads - I'm confused

Ok, all the engine stuff is done, the new clutch plates and springs are on their way and now I'm thinking of changing the brake pads (front and rear).
    Which make should I go with: DB, SBS, TufStop?
    And should I buy Ceramic or Sintered Metal? :?

I tend to go with generic EBC brake pads, no problems so far. Mainly because that's what my local shop stocks. Durability and efficiency of the pads depends how heavy the bike is, and how hard and often you need to brake. All properly set up brakes and pads will lock the wheels if you try hard enough.

Anyway EBC have a site.

Pretty but not very helpful.

But there is a useful site (below) which spells out your choices depending on the make and model of your bike, including competitor equivalents. Look in the product diagrams.

Upgrade your vehicle's braking performance with premium EBC brake pads and discs from EBC Brakes Direct. Explore our high-performance brake solutions for a safer and smoother ride. Get top-quality brakes delivered straight to your doorstep

Don't know what the delivery to T&T is like.

Regards

Big Si

Comment

We've had this "conversation" before. I've found over the 20+ years of riding GS bikes (850's and now an 1100GK), that brand makes little or no difference in performance. So, I shop price. Whatever is cheapest on eBay is what I go for.

Right now I have a set of Ferodos on the left caliper, and EBC's on the right. I checked them for wear last week, and there's no difference between left and right pad wear. I already have a set of EBC's and a set of TufStop ready to replace them when it comes time for that. All on eBay, cheap.

Shop price, don't worry, be happy. Others will differ, and that's fine. For the need of most GS bikes, cheap pads are perfectly fine, regardless of brand. I've tried them all -- no difference.

Comment

Oh Yes! ...I just could not find the info with the search engine.
        Now I can make an informed purchase.
        Thanks!

Comment

Before you make your "informed" purchase based on one opinion, take a look at Brake Pad Performance for some facts.

This subject has indeed been covered before, and the idea that brake pads don't matter is an opinion contradicted by scientific testing and verifiable data.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2006, 07:12 PM. Reason: remove search highlight from link

Comment

FYI, I bought a set of the TufStops for my 1000 on ebay. They didn't fit the calipers! They had a coating on the metal edges, which I thought would quiet the sqeeking noise. But I had to file the coating off to get the pads in the slot.

Cheap does not equal quality.

Comment

Hi
              My experience is that sintered pads are better in vet conditions.

(Dunlopad DP205)

Comment

Best brake I have ever used, Vesrah; ALL Vesrah pads contain kevlar BTW.
                Took the Tractor from four finger heave too two finger squeeze.
                I thought the pads in the bike were stock, untill I removed them, discovered they were EBC, work really well in the rear brake, which I prefer to perform a bit softer. So Vesrah in the front and EBC is a near perfect set-up for me.

Dink

Comment

I must agree with you Dink. Best brake pads made and I dont use anything else. The difference between EBC and vesrah in the rain is EBC's dont work, Vesrah does. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                  Best brake I have ever used, Vesrah; ALL Vesrah pads contain kevlar BTW.
                  Took the Tractor from four finger heave too two finger squeeze.
                  I thought the pads in the bike were stock, untill I removed them, discovered they were EBC, work really well in the rear brake, which I prefer to perform a bit softer. So Vesrah in the front and EBC is a near perfect set-up for me.

Dink
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Read all the posts and researched a bunch of the material. I just ordered Vesrah for front and rear. Thanks for all the tips folks. Will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
                      Read all the posts and researched a bunch of the material. I just ordered Vesrah for front and rear. Thanks for all the tips folks. Will let you know how it turns out.
                      Best thing to keep in mind is that when you really need the brakes...it is usually in the most adverse conditions. If you can't stop, you shouldn't get started in the first place! Spend the money and ride with peace of mind. [-X :-D

Comment

Yup! ....I've spared no expense in restoring and customizing my bike since I embarked on the project 10-months ago. I certainly don't intend to skimp on something as important as brake pads.

Comment

Just changed front and rear brake pads to Vesrah Green (organic). The ones that came out were Front: Aisin and Rear: Premier and they both were only worn about half way.
                          The clymer manual speaks of Friction Pad Shims at the rear. I did not find any. Are these important? I went ahead and mounted the Vesrahs just as the old ones were (without shims).
                          Nice improvement with the Vesrah although they are not broken-in yet. Very good overall response, much more initial-bite response and much more consistent braking throughout. Rear brakes have more stopping power now as compared to the old pads.
                          Well worth the small investment.

Comment

Does anyone know the coefficient of friction for the Vesrah organic pads?

The EBC organic pads for the '79 850 were marked "GG"--just one step down from the "Double H" sintered pads the racers all love. They stop maybe a little better than the OEM pads in the OEM '79 calipers, but I wouldn't bet the farm on 'em!

Sounds like the Vesrahs might be even better. You need all the stopping power you can get with the pre-80 calipers!

Anybody know how the Vesrahs are marked?

Tomcat

Comment

Without the shims in place, you may get a slight squeaking when you apply the brakes. It doesnt hurt anything, so unless it particularly annoys you, I would forget about it. I dont run the "anti squeak" shims either.

Earl

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
                              Just changed front and rear brake pads to Vesrah Green (organic). The ones that came out were Front: Aisin and Rear: Premier and they both were only worn about half way.
                              The clymer manual speaks of Friction Pad Shims at the rear. I did not find any. Are these important? I went ahead and mounted the Vesrahs just as the old ones were (without shims).
                              Nice improvement with the Vesrah although they are not broken-in yet. Very good overall response, much more initial-bite response and much more consistent braking throughout. Rear brakes have more stopping power now as compared to the old pads.
                              Well worth the small investment.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X