Brake Pads - I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
    Just changed front and rear brake pads to Vesrah Green (organic). The ones that came out were Front: Aisin and Rear: Premier and they both were only worn about half way.
    The clymer manual speaks of Friction Pad Shims at the rear. I did not find any. Are these important? I went ahead and mounted the Vesrahs just as the old ones were (without shims).
    Nice improvement with the Vesrah although they are not broken-in yet. Very good overall response, much more initial-bite response and much more consistent braking throughout. Rear brakes have more stopping power now as compared to the old pads.
    Well worth the small investment.
    I'm glad that you are happy with your new brake pads. Organic brake pads work very well on street bikes if you don't ride in the the rain. Organic pads have been recognized as ineffective when wet from their first use on motorcycle disc brakes. This isn't a problem on cars, which are more shielded. It's a different story with motorcycles.

The Vesrah sintered pads are the ones that work under all conditions, and work well in the rain because they generate higher heat which instantly vaporizes water on the disc. I ride in the rain, and I wouldn't use anything but sintered pads for safety considerations.

Comment

You are correct about the organic/sintered/rain conclusion and I agree the sintered pads have more authority when wet. However, I've used the Vesrah green pads on my 1150 for almost five years and at times in blinding, water standing on the road, hurricane conditions :-) and they still had more authority than I had traction.

My experience may not be accurate for all GS models, so I would suggest a wet braking test on the new pads.

Also, in traffic, in the rain, I habitually drape one finger over the brake lever with a slight pressure. It keeps the disks "squeegeed" off and any braking input is instantaneous. If you dont do this, there is a lag even with sintered pads.

E.

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
      I'm glad that you are happy with your new brake pads. Organic brake pads work very well on street bikes if you don't ride in the the rain. Organic pads have been recognized as ineffective when wet from their first use on motorcycle disc brakes. This isn't a problem on cars, which are more shielded. It's a different story with motorcycles.

The Vesrah sintered pads are the ones that work under all conditions, and work well in the rain because they generate higher heat which instantly vaporizes water on the disc. I ride in the rain, and I wouldn't use anything but sintered pads for safety considerations.
      Last edited by earlfor; 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        You are correct about the organic/sintered/rain conclusion and I agree the sintered pads have more authority when wet. However, I've used the Vesrah green pads on my 1150 for almost five years and at times in blinding, water standing on the road, hurricane conditions :-) and they still had more authority than I had traction.

My experience may not be accurate for all GS models, so I would suggest a wet braking test on the new pads.

Also, in traffic, in the rain, I habitually drape one finger over the brake lever with a slight pressure. It keeps the disks "squeegeed" off and any braking input is instantaneous. If you dont do this, there is a lag even with sintered pads.

E.
        I don't disagree with your experience. If you ride with a slight pressure on the front brake in the rain, it will make a big difference. Organic pads will eventually stop OK in the rain once they have been applied long enough to warm up. Keeping pressure on the brake lever keeps the pad hot enough to provide a good response.

It's a matter of choice. I prefer not to ride with the brake applied when it's raining. As far as only doing it when in traffic in the rain, a rider never knows for sure when he will have to stop quickly, traffic or not. Unless you have pressure on organic pads all the time in the rain, sintered pads are safer with faster, more reliable stopping power.

Comment

Sort of forgot about the new Vesrah pads being on. Been out for a nice 60-mile treck this morning and on the way back I was noting to myself these new brakes are really nice .....nice and responsive, really consistent and predictable. Have not rode them in the wet yet though.

Comment

Working...
          X