question regarding setting float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question regarding setting float height

I had my '77 GS750 running, finally, and had (I surmised) #2 cyl running lean, and uneven idle. Since it had supposedly been sitting for quite a while prior to my acquiring it, I decided to pull the carbs, tear down and clean them, and see if that would help. Everything went fairly well....only thing I had to replace was a float bowl gasket, since it tore coming off. I ordered one from Suzuki, but had some issues with them ordering the wrong part #, and didn't want to wait any longer for it, so I just made a new one. Put them all back on the rack last night, and hope to put them on the bike soon (if the temp ever comes back to positive numbers).

My question, now that I think about it, is if I used the proper reference point when setting float height. If I remember correctly, it said in my Clymer manual to measure from the floor of the float chamber, and set the float height to 26mm. Well, I thought they meant the floor, down inside the carb, but the bottom of the float wasn't even close. So I studied the picture in the book, which wasn't the greatest, and figured that the floor of the chamber must be the mating surface where the float bowl gasket goes. When measuring from there, they were much closer to spec. Still 3-4mm off, but it made more sense that way. I didn't have much doubt when I did it, but I read a few post today over lunch, and it raised the question in the back of my mind, so I thought I might as well get confirmation on how I did it. Hopefully this will take care of my lean #2 and idle issues, and I can get on track to having my baby on the road. Thanks for the help,

Ryan
    -------
    mueller@xta.com

carb types

Forgot to mention that these are the older mechanical slide carbs, Mikuni BS's, I believe. Not CV's. :P

Comment

You are correct about measuring from the surface where the float bowl fits. You should be measuring to what is actually the bottom of the float. Measure with the carbs inverted and the float just resting on the needle, not pushed down.

Comment

they are measured from the gasket surface with the gasket removed. Or from the gasket and add 1mm? to measurement. ALso if you have a lean condition ??? did you check the intake boots and O rings, if they are bad it will cause it to run lean.. Don't forget the vacuum line for the petcock hooks up to the #3 carb

Comment

Working...
        X