Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring diagram for 1978-79 gs550

I use to have a scan picture of the wiring harness for the 1978-79 gs 550
    and I lost it when my computer when out.
    the bike is an 78-79 gs 550 that I pick up for $50 2 year ago that is a cafe racer with clubmen handle bars and (west or red)? wing racing shocks, and new tire. The guy had it sitting in a shed because he a roofer an injuried this back and could not ride anymore.

If anybody has the diagram let me know I got laid off and had to sale my 2000 bandit 600S . So I want to get this bike running so I can drive in this summer it lot cheaper on gas then my beater truck.

Thanks
    Peter

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Can't help with the wiring diagram, but I believe the shocks are Redwings. Back in the early '70s there was a company that built forks similar to Ceriani models and they were Redwings. If you have any specific questions about how things should be wired you should be able to get plenty of help here.

Comment

wiring diagram for 1978-79 gs550

Thanks Billy for letting me know about what the shock are. About the wiring harness diagram if someone has homemade wiring diagram to be able to get the bike running and have head light, tail/brake lights,turn signal and the gauge lights and a horn I will be happy the bike is not near stock condition so a homemade wiring harness will be fine. The wiring harness on the bike is destroyed by mice or something because there is nothing left of it.

Thanks
      Peter

Comment

If you go to the GSR homepage and look in the Gallery under your bike years you will find a couple of guys with 550s there. Click on their names and you should get their email address. Maybe one of them can help with a diagram. I can send you one from my bike that should help with things like lighting and horns. As for ignition I'm assuming your bike has a points type system. It's been a long time since I owned anything with points so I don't remember if the points had negative or positive power going to them. I would imagine negative. Give me some time to think about this and I can probably help. In the meantime maybe someone will come up with a diagram for you.

Comment

To power the coils and points a positive lead/wire comes from the ignition switch (switched +) and is connected to coil positive (+) terminal. (you will need a "Y" connector to power two coils because you will need two power leads) Run a wire from the left coil negative (-) terminal to the left point set. Run another wire from the right coil negative (-) terminal to the right point set. Ground is accomplished by the coil mounting bracket/bolts.
          The left coil fires cylinders 1,4 and right coil fires 2,3.
          NOTE....the terminals on the coil are marked + and -. Positive is for 12 volts positive INPUT. Negative is 12 volts POSITIVE OUTPUT. Both terminals are positive. Accordingly when using a continuity light to set points, the lead of the test light must be to battery negative.

Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          If you go to the GSR homepage and look in the Gallery under your bike years you will find a couple of guys with 550s there. Click on their names and you should get their email address. Maybe one of them can help with a diagram. I can send you one from my bike that should help with things like lighting and horns. As for ignition I'm assuming your bike has a points type system. It's been a long time since I owned anything with points so I don't remember if the points had negative or positive power going to them. I would imagine negative. Give me some time to think about this and I can probably help. In the meantime maybe someone will come up with a diagram for you.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Wiring Diagram

How much of a diagram do you need?

Everythin?

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

Wiring Diagram

Everythin?

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

Wiring Diagram

Everythin?

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

re: wiring harness

Pete,

I need all of the diagram because the wiring if a complete mess because of the mice.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Wiring Diagram

I can FAX you a copy in the morning, (If you send a FAX line) or I can scan them this weekend.

What's your choice?

Pete in Post Falls

Comment

Try this link:

(Right click and "save target as")

Comment

wiring diagram

Thanks for the picture. It help me get the bike wired and have power to all the light and stuff. Now Time to tune up the motor and clean the air pods.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X