No announcement yet.

Anyone recognize this Master Cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen that master cylinder on Jimcor's 82? GS550L. I was intrigued when I saw it and inspected it further. The reservoir is angled because of the big sweep in the handle bars on L models. The cap should be level when mounted properly. Here it is on Alpha-sports.

Aside from the angled reservoir, the lid and the inside of the base looks identical to my 78 GS750E. I would bet that the mc is nearly identical sans the reservoir.

-J
    Last edited by jonr; 11-27-2006, 02:00 PM. Reason: spontaneous combustion
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

This thread has my head spinning now I'm going to review this again tonight when I get home and measure the opening. Thanks folks!

Comment

JC, the opening is NOT the same size as the piston area.

It is larger at the start by several milimeters, the only way to check the cup size is to strip it out.

It would take you at most, 2-3 days from the likes of bikebandit to have the part once you have stripped it out, it takes only a set of circlip pliers to remove the piston and some rag to absorb the brake fluid.

Also ensure you use some automotive rubber grease that is suited brake fluid when you reassemble it, also check for scores in the bore of the master, and if necessary have it honed to remove the scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
          Erm, im all of my 4 genuine suzuki parts manuals (77, 78, 79, 80) they show the master cyl with the tapered end (as in the original picture) as being the NISSIN, and the one with the cut off square snub nose as being the ASCO, corect me if Im wrong but I really dont think suzuki dealer manuals would have the wrong part description in 4 years worth of manuals, and I just ordered parts for my NISSIN (as in the picture) and my local suzuki dealer ordered on the phone whilst I was standing there, he stated "TO SUIT THE NISSIN MASTER CYL".
          Hmm, I suppose it's possible that I am incorrect, but in all of my Suzuki literature it clearly lists the pictured M/C as an Asco - calipers, too. I know that Suzuki certainly did go back to Nissin stuff after this, however. An easy way to tell is look at the markings on the equipment, Nissin stuff will (usually) say Nissin on it somewhere, and the Asco stuff will be branded with the Suzuki S.

But, I would suppose the factory manuals would be correct.

In any rate, all of this is mostly irrelevant, the parts numbers I listed will certainly get you the OP the parts he needs - he needs only go to any online fiche to verify that.

Comment

Well the problem I'm having is that they all LOOK the same. The only way I can seem to tell them apart is that the resevoir that exists for my model doesn't match the resevoir that is currently on the bike. The screw patterns are different, the resevoir diameter is different... And I'm now learning that the resevoir is bent to accomodate the swept back handlebars, which means I need to stick with the type I have now instead of the L.

I think that the easiest way would be to get a dual disc L type MC from a known source so that I know for sure exactly what model it's from. The only other way I can see is for someone to positively identify the pattern of the bottom of the resevoir as mentioned before.

Comment

master cylinder

Hi I've just rebuilt my master cylinder, 1981 Gs850Lx.
              It looks to be identical.
              Hope this helps.
              Cheers
              Matt

Comment

It helps a ton! The resevoir bottoms and screw patterns appeared to be the same?

Thanks!

Comment

Just for the record, that was in fact the MC from the '81 850L. It's also the same part number as a bunch of the L models from 80 through 82 I believe. For some reason the 1980 1100L used the same one as those from the late 70s, while the 850 and 1000 used the newer part number.

Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X