Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme brake mod?

Check this out:

Send them your rotor, and you get a snowflake back!

I found this while searching the web for instructions on drilling brake rotors. I know someone here has done it, but can't find any info. I have a drill press and can get cobalt bits. I'm just not touching my brakes until I'm sure of what I'm doing. Also, is there any advantage to "directional" drilling versus staggered, or is it merely cosmetic? I'm not wanting the "extreme" lightening procedure from the website above, just simple drilled discs.

WOW... :shock: getting rid of unsprung weight is one thing, but that looks a little extreme to me. I'd want to see the stop specs on those rotors! As far as the cross section drilling, in theory, when the holes/slots are punched in a rearward swept pattern, the idea is that the brake dust and particles are swept up and rearward, out the slots, when the brakes are applied. I'm not sure to what extent this has been proven, but it does look good.

Comment

Also, the cross drilling is to aid in rotor cooling but there has to be an equalibirium in the equation somewhere :? .

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
        Check this out:

Send them your rotor, and you get a snowflake back!

I found this while searching the web for instructions on drilling brake rotors. I know someone here has done it, but can't find any info. I have a drill press and can get cobalt bits. I'm just not touching my brakes until I'm sure of what I'm doing. Also, is there any advantage to "directional" drilling versus staggered, or is it merely cosmetic? I'm not wanting the "extreme" lightening procedure from the website above, just simple drilled discs.
        They don't list the older bikes. I only see models back to about '92. Have you contacted them about earlier aps?

Lots of threads here about drilled rotors. Use the search tool at the top of the page.

Comment

Didn't bother asking because it's way down on the bottom of my "have to do" list.

I tried the search using different variations of "drill" and "rotor" and came up with two links, neither of which showed how to do it. Apparently there's a how-to article in an issue of Motorcycling (must have been before the liability lawyers went rabid). Anyone got a scan of this article?

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
            I tried the search using different variations of "drill" and "rotor" and came up with two links, neither of which showed how to do it. Apparently there's a how-to article in an issue of Motorcycling (must have been before the liability lawyers went rabid). Anyone got a scan of this article?
            That's "Motorcyclist". Sometime in the early '80's. I'm guessing '82 to '84.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I stand corrected. I'm more of a "The Horse: Backstreet Choppers" reader.

Comment

Working...
              X