Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front tyre DUNLOP GT 501

Hello,
    I owned a GS1000 G from 1979, ride every day.
    I changed yesterday my front tyre to a new Dunlop GT 501. The difference in handling is quite important as well as confort and ease to lean. I had Michelin M48 before. Well for the moment I am quite happy of the change.
    One question, the guy told me that my front wheel is not tubeless and did recommend me to keep the tube in even with the new tubeless tyre. This what I did. Is it an error, what are the disadvantages of having done so???

Some people say the tire will run hotter. I have never taken the temp of my tires. They seem to last just as long with a tube or without.

Comment

It seems that the general opinion (according to many previous threads) is that it doesn't make much difference, heat or lifewise, if you run a tube in it or not.

Comment

I think all the GS 1000 G's, came with mag wheels. I,m confused, I thought all Suzuki mag wheels were tubeless. If some are & others aren't, can someone please explain the difference. I'm thinking that the early model Suzuki mags may not have "tubeless" stamped on them, but they are to be used for both "tube" or "tubeless", depending on if you have a tubeless or a tube type tire.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          I think all the GS 1000 G's, came with mag wheels. I,m confused, I thought all Suzuki mag wheels were tubeless. If some are & others aren't, can someone please explain the difference. I'm thinking that the early model Suzuki mags may not have "tubeless" stamped on them, but they are to be used for both "tube" or "tubeless", depending on if you have a tubeless or a tube type tire.
          IMO. Unless the wheels are marked tubeless (ie. http://bikebandit.com/partsbandit/sh...dept_id=151197 )then you should use a tube. My '80/81 model GS7/11 uses tube type mags while my '83 GS750es goes tubeless. Some say that it had to do with the porosity of the aluminum, others say it's a CYA situation, some have had success running tubeless on tube type mags(me included). Has anyone really compared the two types as to the bead construction, compostion, etc.?

Comment

Hy,
            the guy explained me that tubeless rim have a smal ripple on each side to prevent the tyre to slip from its place when a lot of effort (like speed turns). On my front wheel, he clearly showed me that the ripple was not present and it was preferable to use tubes. However my back rim is tubeless...
            Olivier

Comment

Do either of your wheels have "tubeless" stamped, or molded, on them?

Comment

This is a topic that's come up before on these fori.

The 1982 and 1983 GS850G and GS1100G came with front and rear wheels that were both stamped "tubeless" by the factory. I rode two consecutive 1982 GS850G's, from 1986 through 1996, and ran both wheels tubeless, with no problem at all.

The earlier GS850G (79, 80, 81) and GS1000G (80 and 81) came with the "pentagram" wheel design. The rear wheel is stamped "tubeless", even though it came from the factory with a tube in it. On my 1979 and 1980 GS850G's, which I rode from 1996 through 1999, I installed tires in a tubeless fashion, with no problems.

The front wheel of these earlier bikes, however, does not have the "tubeless" designation, for whatever reason. Some people have been running these fron tires tubeless, successfully. Others, like myself, are unwilling to take that chance.

Therefore, my recommendation is simple: Follow what is stamped on the wheel. If it says "tubeless", run it without a tube. If it doesn't say anything, put a tube in it. That's what I've done all these years of GS ownership, almost 200,000 miles, and it's worked for me.

Nick

Comment

I agree with the previous threads.
                  I have run tubes and tubless on my 1980 GS1000S. NO problems.
                  I have been running the GT501's since last year. I put about 5000 on them last year. No tubes, no problems. Running at highway speeds, over 65mph,no problems. Running with my wife as a passenger, no problems.
                  I really like the handling and feel from them.
                  They are very good in the rain also. I did over 100 miles in a downpour at highway speeds and they were planted!

Do the maintenance with them, check pressures and look for junk in the tread. Junk, nails, rocks etc.

Keith
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                    My 1983 1100e has mag wheels and i believe i must run tubes in them--i dont fool with my tires except in selecting them and i dont really remember; but i seem to recall threads saying that some mag wheels do require tubes

Comment

I believe that the only mag wheels that are intended to be run without tubes have the stamping "tubeless" on the side of the rim.
                      If there is no stamping, then they must use a tube.

Earl

[quote="slopoke"][quote="rphillips"]I think all the GS 1000 G's, came with mag wheels. I,m confused, I thought all Suzuki mag wheels were tubeless.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                      X