Rear Caliper Piston Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Caliper Piston Removal

I did my homework and found out that people use compressed air to remove pistons from the calipers. Since I don;t have compressed air, I instead went with water; I connected a pressure attachment to a garden hose and held it tight against the brake line inputs to the calipers. Sure enough, I got both from piston calipers out. Yay!

However, the rears are proving to be more challenging. When doing the same trick, one of the pistons is moving, the other is not. My fear is that if I get one out, I wont have any way to pressurize the other one to get it out as well.

The only other thing I can think of is mounting is back on the bike (and on the rotor) and pumping some brake fluid through... Hopefully both pistons will move?

Lastly (and as an aside) how do I get these buggers back in? Will some brake fluid act as a lubricant to get the piston moving pact the oring?

I feel like I've used up my annual allotment of questions in the past week Sorry for the inconvenience.

[QUOTE=J_C;550928]
    Lastly (and as an aside) how do I get these buggers back in? Will some brake fluid act as a lubricant to get the piston moving pact the oring?

I've never had a problem getting a piston back in. A smidge of brake fluid and they usually push right in with two fingers.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
      The only other thing I can think of is mounting is back on the bike (and on the rotor) and pumping some brake fluid through... Hopefully both pistons will move?

I feel like I've used up my annual allotment of questions in the past week Sorry for the inconvenience.
      On my 750 the rear caliper separates into two parts. Treat em separately, you should have no problem popping the pistons out. If water doesn't work, try walking into any gas station that does automotive work. Bet they'll help you pop em out for $5. Took me and my neighbor 5 mins. tops, mostly waiting on his tank to pressurize! As for putting them back in, the fluid does lube the pistons. Press them in square and you're all set, they will slide right in like Earl says. O-ring should have a good coat of fluid anyway and will make the job effortless.

More questions keeps the forum fresh. Keep 'em coming. I've got my share out there already.

Comment

Yep! That looks like the exact same caliper, down to the rusted pistons and everything Something makes me think Suzuki forgot to treat the metal there or something.

Thanks for the tips... since I can't make a seal with the hose I may have to try the air. Cheers!

Comment

I've always used air so I can't help with any other ways.
          Just be very sure you place a towel/rag so the piston can't get damaged when it pops out.
          Always use new piston seals and dab a drop of fluid onto the seal and piston when re-installing.
          Other notes: Correct torque for banjo bolts should be about 16 lb/ft. I suggest new crush washers but they seem to seal well when re-used, at least a couple of times if not over-torqued. Up to you if you didn't buy any. The newer 5.1 glycol based fluid is supposed to be superior to Dot 3 and 4. Factory says to always bleed the inner bleed screw first, then the outer one.
          Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 11-25-2006, 04:37 AM.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Stuck Piston

Had the same problem on my 850. If nothing else works put the pad back on the side that will move and remount the caliper. Then pump the rear brake pedal to get the stuck piston to move. Just move it a small amount. Once it moves dismount the caliper but leave the brake hose attached. Put the caliper in a bowl or bucket and pump the brake pedal and both pistons will pop out. This way is a little messy, but it will get the job done if you have no other way to get the pistons out.
            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C. View Post
              Had the same problem on my 850. If nothing else works put the pad back on the side that will move and remount the caliper. Then pump the rear brake pedal to get the stuck piston to move. Just move it a small amount. Once it moves dismount the caliper but leave the brake hose attached. Put the caliper in a bowl or bucket and pump the brake pedal and both pistons will pop out. This way is a little messy, but it will get the job done if you have no other way to get the pistons out.
              Thanks Bill, I will definitely try this if the other method fails. I appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
              X