Help with Diagnosis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Diagnosis...

I've got a 1978 GS 1000 that is stored outside. For the past month, the bike has occasionally sputtered for a second or 2 upon accelleration. I imagine is would be like maybe having water in the tank and as it goes thru the carbs, I get the sputter. I rode thru it and filled the tank and it seemed to run fine. But then it happens again, now and then.

On maybe another note, the last 2 times I've ridden, the bike would shut off as if I turned the bike off on my own when trying to leave a stop light. The last time, the bike would not start at all. I looked underneath the seat for battery connection issue, but that seemed to be fine. After about 10 minutes and me ready to walk home, I tried one more time and it fired up, no problem. I babied it home and now it sits in front of my house.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Check ignition and battery connections.
    Also sounds like it may be a gas flow issue. Check if you petcock is flowing gas properly.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Also, get a bike cover. GI Joes has a cheap one.

Even rat bikes need some love
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As soon as it dries up a little, I'll check those connections. I do have a cover for the bike, though it has gotten wet quite a few times. I'm really missing riding, even in the rain!

Comment

I would drain the fuel bowls into a container & check for water. The water will lay on top of the gas in the fuel bowl. Or put some drygas in the tank

Comment

Well I went under the seat this morning and tightened down all the ground connections and checked all other connections leading to and from the dyna ignition. After re installing the ground to the battery, the bike started right up. A 10 minute ride around the neighborhood and there was no problem. I rode to my café which is a few miles away and no problems. The sputtering is even gone, for the moment at least. I hope to commute the rest of the week, thru expected rains, so I'll know for sure this coming week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by xmishx View Post
              Well I went under the seat this morning and tightened down all the ground connections and checked all other connections leading to and from the dyna ignition. After re installing the ground to the battery, the bike started right up. A 10 minute ride around the neighborhood and there was no problem. I rode to my café which is a few miles away and no problems. The sputtering is even gone, for the moment at least. I hope to commute the rest of the week, thru expected rains, so I'll know for sure this coming week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ted
              Awesome!
              Hope the good fortune sticks:-D
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X