exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust

i took my exhaust off and found that one of the bolts had broke off in the head prolly from a previous owner but i was wondering what the best way was to get it out whether it but just a vise-grips on the end left on it or some other way
    also i was wondering if neone could tell me if they have had good luck with wrapping there headers

If you have enough of the stud sticking out and can grab it with some vice grips go for it. First I'd use some penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight.
    Do you have holes in the exhaust?
    Last edited by chef1366; 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

no just the chrome is looking bad and i dont have the money to buy a new exhaust so i was goin to sand blast and paint it high temp black then wrap the header to the muffler and then leave the muffler black

Comment

Use some PB Blaster. Put it on several times. Let it soak at least overnite or longer. Grab with the vise grips and try to screw it in first, then out, then in, etc. That usually works.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Failing that you can get a stud extractor kit... involves drilling & if you snap the extractor you really are screwed... go careful.

The other thing I've done before is weld a nut onto the end of the stud & then you can use a standard socket. The weld processes also helps as it gets some heat to it to help break it loose.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X