Two Brothers 4 into 1 header/D&D can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Brothers 4 into 1 header/D&D can

Is anybody here familiar with the Two Brothers header? I got a 1979 GS !000 with a header that is supposed to be Two Brothers, but can't find anything listed for my bike, only modern sport bikes. The bike also has K&N pods, and the carbs have a Dynojet Stage 3 kit, and the carbs are WAY out, running very rich. I'm trying to figure out how these headers compare with V&H or MAC, so I can start to suss out the carb. To see the header, go to Road-Ready Bikes For Sale, on page 3, posted by bmwman, Shawn Dubs. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    1979 GS 1000

It sounds like you're keeping the pipe, so don't worry how it compares to other pipes. Jetting varies from bike to bike.
    Let us know what jetting you have right now. The mains, the jet needle e-clip position, and pilot jet size.
    What brand of stage 3 jet kit?
    Stock VM 26mm carbs, correct?
    Have you checked/tuned the bike to make it ready for the re-jet? This includes good compression, valve clearances all set between .03 and .08mm, clean carbs with floats set to .94", fresh o-rings inside, good bench synch of the slides, the jet needle plastic spacers re-installed in factory order, fresh manifold o-rings and manifolds in good condition, clean/oiled correctly K&N pods (K&N oil), fresh NGK B8ES plugs/gapped correctly, good spark/plug leads and ignition timing set, points clean/gapped/new (if points still there), pilot fuel screws (underneath) initially set to 1 1/2 turns out, side air screws set using the highest rpm method (but 1 3/4 out is a good starting point if bike runs rich/not idling well), a vacuum synch is required before re-jetting if the bike runs well enough to vacuum synch, REMOVE the two floatbowl vent lines at carbs 2 and 4 and leave the vents open.
    If the above is done, all of it, then your re-jet will be easier and more accurate. Anything skipped above will compromise the re-jet and cause frustration.
    Let us know your present jetting and what the plugs look like at: full throttle, 1/3 throttle, and minimal throttle openings. Chop off and check.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yeah, what he said!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I haven't yet, but...

I just picked up the GS 1000 last Friday. All of the things on Keith's post are things I'm planning to check/set before trying to jet these carbs.Thanks for the advice, as you've given me a complete, systematic list to go through before tearing into the carbs. The bike has pods, the aforementioned header and can, and a newly-installed Dyna S, which I'll check for proper installation and timing. Thanks guys, and I'll keep you updated on my progress.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

As far as I know, TwoBros doesn't make anything for these bikes. As mentioned above, it really doesn't matter what it is, since you have to sort all of the other stuff before you can jet it properly. No vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, either.

Comment

Working...
          X