GS--G Suzuki, Framing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS--G Suzuki, Framing Question

Hi all, my name is John, John boy to my friends (yes thanks to the Waltons, for those who remember). I live in Brisbane Australia.

For now I will ask the main question on my mind, though I will try to also post as to how it is that I have come to need to ask this question on one of the social forums soon.

Will a 1980 GS1000G motor fit into a 1980 GS850G frame without needing modifications?

I did see the post re the 650 frame but wondered if the case may not be the same for the 850.

John boy.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2006, 10:48 PM.

Originally posted by John Boy View Post
    Hi all, my name is John, John boy to my friends (yes thanks to the Waltons, for those who remember). I live in Brisbane Australia.

For now I will ask the main question on my mind, though I will try to also post as to how it is that I have come to need to ask this question on one of the social forums soon.

Will a 1980 GS1000G motor fit into a 1980 GS850G frame without needing modifications?

I did see the post re the 650 frame but wondered if the case may not be the same for the 850.

John boy.
    Welcome John Boy.Quite a few Aussies on board here.Sure someone will be able to help with your question.

All the best m8

Brenno

Comment

Thanks Brenno

Thanks for the welcome Brenno.

I have a tired old GS1000G that has been parked under my mum’s veranda for near three years; heavily rusted, guards discs fork legs handle bars etc, and corroded, motor carbs levers etc. I am sure you have all seen one like it.

However it was running when I parked it and, other than a couple of minor problems, one clutch cable a rectifier and a fuel filter blockage (which only showed up after half an hour of harder riding, it would cruise all day without missing a beat), it had given me four years reliable use before then. It was a cheapie when I bought it, just to get to work and back, and I think two or three bikes (basket cases perhaps) may have gone into its creation.

Though the last time a mechanic looked at it a couple of cylinders were down on compression (he put an additive in the fuel to maybe help but I never had it re-checked), with my weight being 55 to 60 kgs I felt the bike had more than enough power for a fellow my size; especially considering, to me, its slightly limited breaking abilities (have ridden with worse, have ridden with better) which I put down to the weight of the bike; it did give me a couple of “heart stoppers” under breaks.

However at this point in time I find myself with no transport and limited funds, which brings me to my question re the 850. There is one for sale near by for a reasonable price (I think) that is road ready and looks to be in reasonable condition (by photo). I am sure all you “back yard” mechanics maintaining old hacks on limited funds can appreciate the possibilities here. The value of having a second bike with compatible parts can not be overstated I would say.

What I would be looking at here possibly would be to buy and use the GS850G but at the same time recover and store what parts I can from the 1000, particularly to refurbish the 1000 motor to have as a future upgrade/back-up for the 850. Hence the question regards the motor/frame compatibility.

The guy at the shop/wrecker that is selling the 850 (spoke on the phone) also tells me that they would have all the parts I would need if I just wanted to refurbish the 1000 (he couldn’t say for sure weather the engine swap was possible though he was sure wheels breaks and some other parts were the same).

Ok, I think I might leave it at that for now folks, all the best.
      John boy.

Comment

Very easy swap I intend to do it myself when my 850 motor goes. Main thing is minor differences in the motor mounts, use the gs driveshaft

Comment

Hi. Just wondering what the benefit would be in doing this? Is the 850 chassis better than the 1000's? If so, in what way (s)?

Thanks.

Rick

Comment

BIGGER MOTOR + the GS1000 is geared different your cruse RPM will be about 500 RPM lower

Comment

So, if I had a whole 1000g with potential, that would be better to get running and road worthy than trying to swap the 1000g motor into my 850g? Beating a dead horse? I just thought there was significant differences between the 850 chassis and the 1000's chassis making the swap of the 1000g motor into the 850 end result as not only a faster "850" but a better handling "1000"?

Rick

Comment

Hi folks, Rick, in regards the frame swap, I was looking at it from the angle that perhaps the 850 and 1000 had the same frame, so no advantage or disadvantage in frame swap; it was more so for convenience, to have a bike running sooner than later.
                But now that I have thought a bit more about it, and as per Ricks point in #7, I have decided that it would be better value to invest in restoration of the existing 1000G than to buy the 850 and possibly end up “beating a dead horse”.
                If I go ahead with the restoration I will post my progress at this site perhaps.
                John.

Comment

Working...
                X