ID this wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID this wheel

It doesn't appear this wheel is off of a 77 GS750 and I cannot find what bike it was originally on. The tire size is 100/90R19. The single disk is throwing me. Maybe someone knows what bike used a single rotor mag wheel? The black cap on the right hub area looks like it just pops off. Can I convert this wheel to dual disks?

I think this style started in 1980 and then changed in 83' probably off a 400E. You should be able to add a rotor to the other side but youll need all the stuff for that side from the dual rotor wheel.

Comment

Including a right-rotor fork.

Comment

Looks just like the wheel offa my old GS750T.

Comment

i think 550e's had single rotor mag from 78-79

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
            Looks just like the wheel offa my old GS750T.
            that is what i was going to say, looks like a "T" wheel.

Comment

I have the same wheel on my 79 gs750L. Look at the rotor and caliper, pre 80

Comment

I looks like the same wheels that are on my '78 1000's, but the caliper looks different. But to answer your question, yes, you can convert it to dual disks. My '781000C, which originally had spoke wheels was converted to the mags by the PO. It had the single front disk. I am now about to use that same wheel on my skunk, which has dual disks. The mag is the same as the one I'm replacing.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

GN250 would be my guess. Had a new one and the front wheel looked just like the wheel pictured. Dealer gave it to me when I bought my 83 1100e. Had my choice of a new Bell helmet or a new GN250. Suzuki couldn't hardly give the things away. I taught the redhead how to ride on it and then 3 nephews. Sold that sucker for 250 bucks after 4 years.

Comment

Whatever GS it came off of, it was '81 or older.

In '82 they changed the spokes to pairs that came close together, but did not cross. My son's '81 450T had a front wheel that looked just like that. His '82 650L had the newer style, but still with just one disk. My wife's '82 850L has the newer style with dual disks.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help on the wheel. Are the later model brake calipers an improvement over the pre-80 caliper? Or, is there a good front brake fitment from a late model GSX (or something) that will allow the use of my existing forks? That'd likely require a new rotor though too I suppose.

Comment

It's a mag wheel off a '77-'79 750/1000 for sure. If you take off that plastic cover on the right side, it has mounting holes for the second disc. I have the same wheel on my '77 750 and I am running a single front disc. If I had the correct forks/brake setup you could easily add a second rotor to that wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by pasteurized View Post
                          It's a mag wheel off a '77-'79 750/1000 for sure. If you take off that plastic cover on the right side, it has mounting holes for the second disc. I have the same wheel on my '77 750 and I am running a single front disc. If I had the correct forks/brake setup you could easily add a second rotor to that wheel.
                          It's funny how so many people in this thread speak in definitive terms of which model the wheel is off of. So far we have the full range of GS models from 250 - 1000. :shock:

FYI, my 81 GS550T has a 19" wheel with one brake rotor that looks like the one in the photo. I'm not claiming the wheel if off a 550T though.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                          X