Help with intake manifold boots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone give me an approximate size on the metal plate which bolts to the engine on the intake manifold boots. I am mainly interested in the thickness, but all of the size dimensions would be great.

thanks

It might help if we knew what bike you are refering to.

Comment

I have an 83 GS850. What I am looking for is the thickness of the flange of the intake manifold boot. Any Suzuki with this type of manifold boot would work. I just want to get a general idea. Also, I can't remember off the top of my head, is the flange steel or aluminum? I think it is aluminum. This is for my experiment that I mentioned in a post a few days earlier. I am trying to see if it is possible to create a new manifold. I know, it's kind of like reinventing the wheel, but I want to make a new flange with a collar in which a straight rubber boot can be clamped to, just as the end of the boots do on the front of the carbureator. This might allow some flexibilty on buying new boots. Suzuki seems to be really proud of the manifold boots. I guess I will pull the boots off my bike to get the measurements (angles, length, etc). If someone can tell me the thickness of the flange, I will try to get the metal today.

Comment

Are you having trouble finding new boots for your carbs? Not sure why you would want to go to all that trouble in making a new manifold.

Jay

Comment

As far as I know, the boots are okay. I am getting ready to perform a top end rebuild, so I will take everything apart and inspect then closely. This is just one of those things I want to see if I can do it. Just like installing my oil cooler installation this past summer. Although with the oil cooler, I had the help of others finding some needed parts. The boots have always been a thorn for the GS's. To bad the engineers didn't design them with an all metal boot which the carbs bolted to, like many of the older Honda's.

Comment

I had a lot easier time pulling the carbs and changing the boots on my GS850G than I did on my CB550/4. The manifold on the Honda is nice but it makes it that harder to change the boots.

Jay

Comment

I would say then that the aprox size is 1/4 inch.

Comment

Working...
              X