Should I part out my '81 GS750E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I part out my '81 GS750E?

Not sure if this counts as technical, but thought I'd toss this idea out there:

I've been working on this '81 GS750E for several months now. I've almost got to the point of cranking it over, but I had to pause a moment and look at the bike from a financial standpoint.

To get it to the point where I can try to start it, this is what I'll need: battery ($39), bolt kit ($25), oil and filter (approx. $20), plugs ($8), solder and heat shrink ($10), and pods ($40) (the ones that came with it don't fit so I sold them to someone who could use them) and misc. hoses, etc.. Plus, to synch the carbs and adjust the valves I'm looking at specialty tools. I may or may not have access to a synchronizer, if not I'm looking at minimum $40 there. This is all just to see if the bike will run.

If all goes well and it does run, here's what else I'll need: Tires ($80 for Cheng Shin), seat or seat pan and make it myself (???), headlight bucket, bulb and brackets ($50+), throttle cable ($16), choke cable ($14), baffle for the V&H ($30?), strip the tank ($15 for phosphoric acid), rebuild or replace the petcock (free to $60), eventually I'll need a chain and sprockets, probably 530 conversion ($150), paint job ($30 for rattle can, 200+ for pro), rear pads ($14), exhaust gaskets (???), fork air inlets (???), and misc. small things that nickle and dime a person to death. And when all is said and done, I'm still looking at $150 to get a title, plus insurance, yada yada.

I've already bought a stator, regulator, cdi, traded my 34mm carbs for 32mm's (thanks!), handlebars (staghorns that came on it were good but uncomfortable, still have them), Ninja M/C, ignition switch, gas cap, seat latch/lock, and about $40 in misc. hardware and things I'm forgetting.

I'm really thinking seriously about parting the bike out and using the money I get to put towards a more complete, hopefully running bike. Even if I did all of the above the bike will be worth what, $1,500 tops?

What do you guys think? I know seeing a classic GS get dismembered is hard, but I'm on a very limited budget and the "to do" list on this bike is making my bank account scream in agony. How much do you think the parts would be worth? The only major things missing are seat, side covers, air box, rear M/C and headlight. The tank has no dents or leaks, just some minor rust on the inside that is purely my fault for leaving it outside overnight after drilling out the old cap and it needs paint. The fender and tail section are in great shape but could use some paint. The engine itself is solid and free-spinning. Rims are good, forks have no pitting that I've noticed, brakes are rebuilt. Help me out here, guys. I don't think I have enough money to finish it, but I'd like to get enough out of it to at least make a sizeable dent in the cost of a decent, used running bike. (nothing expensive, just reliable, maybe an older Shadow like I had)

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss here. Sorry for being so long-winded.

wow, that really suxs to hear that. Was the bike running when you originally got it? ... I mean I got mine in semi running state for 1k a bit pricey from what I have seen some others go for ( my mistake for not doing more homework on it ) but I have appreciated the work I am putting into it pricey but I am having fun... figure thats most of what working on the older bikes is about...

never got why someone would remove the baffles on a exhaust... my stock one seemed plunty loud enough to me

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
      Not sure if this counts as technical, but thought I'd toss this idea out there:

I've been working on this '81 GS750E for several months now. I've almost got to the point of cranking it over, but I had to pause a moment and look at the bike from a financial standpoint.

To get it to the point where I can try to start it, this is what I'll need: battery ($39), bolt kit ($25), oil and filter (approx. $20), plugs ($8), solder and heat shrink ($10), and pods ($40) (the ones that came with it don't fit so I sold them to someone who could use them) and misc. hoses, etc.. Plus, to synch the carbs and adjust the valves I'm looking at specialty tools. I may or may not have access to a synchronizer, if not I'm looking at minimum $40 there. This is all just to see if the bike will run.

If all goes well and it does run, here's what else I'll need: Tires ($80 for Cheng Shin), seat or seat pan and make it myself (???), headlight bucket, bulb and brackets ($50+), throttle cable ($16), choke cable ($14), baffle for the V&H ($30?), strip the tank ($15 for phosphoric acid), rebuild or replace the petcock (free to $60), eventually I'll need a chain and sprockets, probably 530 conversion ($150), paint job ($30 for rattle can, 200+ for pro), rear pads ($14), exhaust gaskets (???), fork air inlets (???), and misc. small things that nickle and dime a person to death. And when all is said and done, I'm still looking at $150 to get a title, plus insurance, yada yada.

I've already bought a stator, regulator, cdi, traded my 34mm carbs for 32mm's (thanks!), handlebars (staghorns that came on it were good but uncomfortable, still have them), Ninja M/C, ignition switch, gas cap, seat latch/lock, and about $40 in misc. hardware and things I'm forgetting.

I'm really thinking seriously about parting the bike out and using the money I get to put towards a more complete, hopefully running bike. Even if I did all of the above the bike will be worth what, $1,500 tops?

What do you guys think? I know seeing a classic GS get dismembered is hard, but I'm on a very limited budget and the "to do" list on this bike is making my bank account scream in agony. How much do you think the parts would be worth? The only major things missing are seat, side covers, air box, rear M/C and headlight. The tank has no dents or leaks, just some minor rust on the inside that is purely my fault for leaving it outside overnight after drilling out the old cap and it needs paint. The fender and tail section are in great shape but could use some paint. The engine itself is solid and free-spinning. Rims are good, forks have no pitting that I've noticed, brakes are rebuilt. Help me out here, guys. I don't think I have enough money to finish it, but I'd like to get enough out of it to at least make a sizeable dent in the cost of a decent, used running bike. (nothing expensive, just reliable, maybe an older Shadow like I had)

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss here. Sorry for being so long-winded.
      You need to decide what you like to do best, ride or wrench. To me, the $ between buying what you need for the current bike or parting it out and buying a fully functional bike are about the same. If you enjoy working on bikes, maybe you want to get what you have running. If you don't, then by all means get rid of it and buy something else.

Comment

I do enjoy wrenching. The '85 Shadow VT700C that I had was sitting under a mesquite tree for five years before I got it and it didn't cost me nearly as much as this bike is to get running and rideable.

The bike was not running when I got it. It was in a shed behind the guy's house for a couple of years. I think it was last registered in 2000, so it was running not that long ago, but whoever wrenched on it before me apparently didn't know what they were doing. The original carbs were broken, the side covers, air box, cdi, and headlight were missing, the seat wasn't the one for that bike and the pan was rusted into pieces. I don't mind elbow grease, as I have a lot of time on my hands now that I'm disabled.

I know that there are things that I'm going to have to replace that I haven't even found yet. Things like intake o-rings, gaskets, bushings, bearings, etc. The intake boots seem fine but if I have to replace those there's another nice chunk of change. I got that Shadow running and on the road for $250 and I've already got that much invested in this bike and it's nowhere near ready to ride. Granted, all the parts were there on the Shadow and the only major things I had to replace were the tank, handlebars and mufflers, and it was only four years newer than this one.

I'm just getting frustrated at the unending list of parts that I'm having to find for this bike. Granted, cosmetically it just needs a paint job and a good cleaning to look great, and enginewise it seems solid, only 26k on the odometer. I just really wish the PO had taken better care of it and hadn't taken parts off.

Comment

I don't get why some would get a bike and then put it in a shed for numerous years... I suppose the 40K *busted odo* one I got has had a good life being riden up to 40K ...who knows how much more I can get out of it once I get my rebuild done.

I didn't know a thing about bikes when I started but I had the interest to learn... guess that is what got me to where I am right now. But my payoff will be riding this spring worry free if all goes as planned.

The boots cost me $100 from a local shop to get all of them.. figured one was cracked so bad and har das a rock that they couldn't be doing me any good what so ever... I think I am up to around $600 in work put into this bike but the value of the experience i'm getting is priceless.

whatever you decide I wish you luck

Comment

Working...
          X