Valve Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Seals

Hi, I'm ready to install my new valve seals on my 850g with a 10mm socket. How hard should I tap it down? Also, should I tap the seal down till it bottoms out. I don't know when the seal inside lip is in the guide groove if the seal has bottomed out or if there is space between the top of the guide and the inside top of the seal. In other words I don't want to tap the seal down too far. Thanks Ted

Just tap it down until it bottoms out. You can't go too far.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla View Post
      Hi, I'm ready to install my new valve seals on my 850g with a 10mm socket. How hard should I tap it down? Also, should I tap the seal down till it bottoms out. I don't know when the seal inside lip is in the guide groove if the seal has bottomed out or if there is space between the top of the guide and the inside top of the seal. In other words I don't want to tap the seal down too far. Thanks Ted
      tap it very very lightly. too hard and you will deform it and it will leak. Ask me how I know :-(

Also don't forget to grease the valve stem and insert it very gently through the seal. You don't want to tear or gouge the rubber by jamming it in there.

Comment

I have just replaced Mine and it was easy to get them in place , but I just pushed them on with my fingers and could feel them click into place. also I grease rotate the valve as I push it through.
        be careful.

Comment

Working...
        X