STILL getting crappy gas mileage with my GS450E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prefect View Post
    Could my warm-up times affect my fuel economy that much?
    -charles
    A five minute warm-up is normal for the GS450, especially if it's a bit on the lean side and it's cold outside. And yes, it will bog big-time if not warmed up sufficiently, especially in the cold weather.
    Have you taken it for a decent highway ride and measured the MPG?
    I really think you'll find you're getting pretty much what you should expect (42-47 MPG on the highway) based on the numbers you reported for city driving.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I get about 47-49mpg on mine. I have a really dumb thought...did you check to see if you have the rear brakes dragging a little or something stupid like that? We had a bit of a problem like that with my friends GS450 and found that the rear brake was out of adjustment.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Tweak your idle mixture screws to reduce the warm up time required. Running lean is not good for the engine, and it WILL lead to increased fuel consumption, as you have the throttle opened wider for longer to achieve the same thing. You may only need to screw the mixture screws in about an 1/8th to 1/4 turn it will improve the milage you are getting.

Dink

Comment

Dink, you think that pods can be as efficient for MPG?

I'm in the process of getting ready to suss out the jetting and tweaking on a GS 1000 I just got, with pods, a Dynojet Stage 3 kit and headers.l It is running really rich now. In your opinion, can a bike with pods be set up to be as fuel-efficient as one with a stock airbox and exhaust?
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
          X