Oil Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler

I'm in Australia and it gets bloody hot here.. My 1982 GSX750E runs way too hot most of the time.. Can I fit an oil cooler? If so where do I find the oil gallerys? My engine is the type with the oil pressure/temp sender in the oil filter housing.. All I have at the rear of the engine is the cam chain tensioner.. Help me I'm boiling

Oil Cooler

First question, how hot is too hot for you? Next they make a generic oil cooler that plugs in where the oil filter is. As an example there is one on Ebay for a GS1000 that might work on your 750.
    The link is

I am sure dennis Kirk or some place like that can help you too.
    I have never put one on my bike, only thought about it. The GS engine is pretty well designed, my 1000 does fine in Texas (USA) running in temps of over 100 F.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

You could just be running too lean in the carbs, that can cause the temp to rise.
      I've got an oil cooler on mine but I just had to make a cover for it because the bike never wamed up, but I apreciate it during the summer.

Comment

I've owned four GS850G's and now a GS1100GK for a total of 200,000 US miles, since 1986. No oil cooler on any of them. It does get hot here in Maryland, yet I haven't had any overheating problems with any of my GS bikes.

In my opinion, I don't need an oil cooler, although folks in places like the American southwest may have a justifiably different opinion.

Nick

Comment

I live in florida and the thing is not necesaary on my 1666 bike--I would first try adjusting the spark plug color. now i have to fool with it to make it less efficient in cooler times of the year

Comment

Oil Cooler

Even w/ the addition of an oil cooler you will still need to get air running through the oil cooler in order to cool it down (ie. don't ride your GS in a parade, turn your engine off if you get stuck in traffic, etc.

It is hard to find a cooler that will fit your bike but good luck in your search. You should be able to tap into either side of the plate that covers your oil filter.

Jay

Comment

Working...
            X