X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure gauge.......

:? i was thinking of installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my
    gs750es. i was going to remove the oil sending unit and put the gauge in
    it's place, which consists of an adapter fitting with a plastic hose going to where ever i mount the gauge. but the adapter is a different thread pitch and then i would have no idiot light(which would not be a bad thing).
    any ideas?????????
    a friend of mine suggested drilling and tapping the oil drain plug but then every time i change the oil the adapter would have to come out and i really think that that would be a hassle. i could see that small plastic line starting to leak..............

I would think if you bought a quality guage you would not need the idiot light. I would also think it wouldn't be that hard to put a (T) fitting in place which would allow the use of the idiot light and the guage. I am no expert and won't promise it will work but this may stir some of the thinkers on the sight to thinking it over and reply with it's ability to function properly.

Bob.

Comment

I placed a mechanical oil pressure guage when I installed an oil cooler on my 83 gs850. On the right side of the engine, just below the back of the jug is the main oil gallery plug. I bought a new plug from the Suzuki dealer, had it drilled, and tapped the hole so that a 1/4 NPT fitting would screw into it. I screwed an 90 degree elbow, then my gauge onto my elbow. I tapped the plug so that when I turned the elbow, the end stood straight up. I then tightened the guage till the top the the gauge was to the front of the bike. I ordered the gauge from Summit racing. It was a VDO mini pressure gauge. It measures pressure from 0 to 15.

With this setup, you will be able to retain your original pressure switch with the light.

Comment

gauge....

the t fitting is a good idea but will not fit where the oil sending unit is at.

as to the other reply..... good idea, but "the back of the jug??"
        please translate.....or maybe i'm just stupid......

Comment

I believe he's referring to the galley plug just behind and below the cylinder on the right side of the engine (at about the 10 o'clock position if your facing the ignition cover).
          Mike

Comment

oil pressure gauge.......

You shouldn't really need to do this. The GS oil pumps have such a low pressure output and to date I haven't seen one go bad...yet.

Besides, instead of looking at the pressure gauge (ie. looking down at the right side of your engine) you should be watching out for cars.

Jay

Comment

DON'T USE PLASTIC LINE the engine/ exhaust heat will melt the line. Have a braded line made if you are going to use oil pressure gauge. If your 750 is the 4 valve motor it has a high pressure oil system.

Comment

Re: oil pressure gauge.......

Originally posted by Jay
                You shouldn't really need to do this. The GS oil pumps have such a low pressure output and to date I haven't seen one go bad...yet.

Besides, instead of looking at the pressure gauge (ie. looking down at the right side of your engine) you should be watching out for cars.

Jay
                Jay is correct about the motors that have ball bearing supported cranks having a low pressure oil system, but your bike (all of the 4-valve 750 motors) have plain bearings and run at a higher oil pressure. You do not have the oil gallery plug that Brandon (he's brs127s) mentioned, if I am not mistaken. You will need a gauge that will come off the same location as the present oil pressure switch. If you have to have the light and the gauge a possibility may be to run an oil line a short distance to a location where you can mount a t-fitting for both of them. You will need a 0 to 60 PSI gauge. Also, get one that is oil filled so it can live up to the harsh vibrations that will result from the oil system and the general tough environment you find on a motorcycle.

I agree, avoid the plastic tubing if you can.

Hap

Comment

The drain plug set up would be for oil temperature. There isn't any pressure in the pan, the oil just sits there while it cools off and waits to be reused.

Comment

Working...
                  X