Starter Clutch Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch Set

The engine was making this funny noise and opened the side where the stator is thinking that it may have come loose.
    I am new to bikes and know absolutely nothing about them.
    I found that the Starter Clutch Set part that has a metal retainer has blown one of three retainers? braking the metal plate.
    The bike works fine but has trouble starting.
    Now, I am looking for the Rotor Removal Tool to have the broken part replaced.
    I have a GS1100g 1982...
    I need lots of help here before I start disassambling the bike.
    What is this tool and is there any paper here to guide me throw the task?

I have lots of experience with cars but am totally unaware of bikes nomenclature or procedures. It seems pretty easy as long as I have the tool needed.

Any advise?

JRS

I see them on Ebay all the time. I think they are called a rotor puller.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Try www.repairmanual.com

or

www.motocom.com

Both names are for the same company. They have good prices (perhaps better than you will get on e-Bay) and truly excellent customer support.

Oil the threads on the tool before use.

When you install the new parts, use a thread sealant (blue) on the small bolts. Red might be OK on the shaft threads, but if you tighten it well blue will do nicely. The threads on the main shaft and the shaft itself must NOT have any oil whatever on them until the work is finished.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the help.
        One person gave me a link to ebay but they are selling a used part which I probably buy, thanks! I still need the tool to get it removed.
        The second reply was to a manuals site. Couldn't find any tools there. At least I didn't find it.
        I just need to know how risky is to do-it-yourself and to have the tools needed.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JRiveraS View Post
          Thanks for the help.
          One person gave me a link to ebay but they are selling a used part which I probably buy, thanks! I still need the tool to get it removed.
          The second reply was to a manuals site. Couldn't find any tools there. At least I didn't find it.
          I just need to know how risky is to do-it-yourself and to have the tools needed.

Thanks!
          You did not look far enough down the list.

As stated, I bought mine from them

Here is the page link
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks!
            I still have the same problem. How do I do it?
            Is there any good book on how to do this job? I have the Clymer Manual and the Service Manual from Suzuki.
            I found the part online but still need the know-how. The shop is out of the question, the only person around here that works on these bikes is just too busy.
            Being used to fix old cars for many years should be enough to get this done.

Jaime

Comment

The Suzuki service manual should show you how to do the job. Basically, the puller threads onto the rotor then a bolt is tightened against the crank end that pulls the rotor off. It is a pressure fit onto a tapered shaft. Your auto experience sould be more than enough mechanical knowledge to get the job done. Parts-N-More sells the pullers as well as starter clutch rebuild kits:

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hope this helps.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X